Main Menu

Suggestions for.........

Started by RAGER, June 21, 2014, 10:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

.......plugging like 20 goddamn things in at the same damn time.

It's ridiculous. Synths, pedals, controllers, doo dads. It's a problem. Now I have two powered mains. Them hafta to be plugged in too. Gonna do some research. Any suggestions out the gate? 
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

RAGER

Yeah I've got 5 or 6 of those.  Now how are you helping?
No Focus Pocus

agent of change

We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

RAGER

Is that what the pros use ya figure?  I'll need 3 of those.
No Focus Pocus

AgentofOblivion

You can make your own boxes pretty cheap.  Home Depot has all sorts of sizes and configurations of boxes.  The issue with most commercial stuff is the receptacles are close together and wall warts don't fit very efficiently.  If you make your own you can spread as far as you need though it might end up being a big, heavy son of a bitch.

jibberish

these are cheap enough to fill a whole rack with a half dozen if needed
http://www.amazon.com/American-Pc-100A-Mount-Power-Switcher/dp/B0002GL50Q

these double each regular power strip outlet for 2 wall warts. this does make just a jumble pile but it probably could be contained in a box with slots along the edge to feed the power wires out, then cover it with a lid to hide the mess. only see the instrument power wires coming out and one ac for the main power strip in.
http://www.amazon.com/Ziotek-ZT1212518-Liberator-Through-5-Pack/dp/B003YFIRR6
edit: there are actually an assload of options like at the bottom of that amazon page for spreading out your power receptacles

patch bay

cable ties

if it turns out I have a million 12v gadgets, I will put a pc power supply in a box. there is one wire you jump to fake the supply out that it is connected to a functional motherboard and it turns on(this would be your on/off switch location once main power is on)

then I would use all those million 12v taps and solder the power wires that I cut off the wall warts(LEAVE LIKE 6 INCHES FOR RE_ATTACHING LATER IF NEEDED)
I would carefully label all the wall warts and put them all away somewhere

maybe make some kind of rack for small boxes with Velcro surface that you can just stick all the modules to.

don't bundle AC power cords with signal cables. parallel runs induce 60hz hum into your signal wires

aaaaaaaaaand a beefy mixer to wrangle all those signals.
also don't forget, on a 4 buss you can send combos of synths out the individual busses to feed other synths and effects, then re-combine, and still have 2 busses for main outs/effects..i actually don't know what all these 4 bussers can do. holy shit they are 5x more complex than a normal 2 buss

jibberish

I bet a nice rack with those American dj strips with wall wart extensions on back, all in a rack box would be really clean and good looking

PLUS you get another light for each power channel you have turned on YAY!!!!

maybe double up the rack with a patch bay since each synth has signal along with power. mixer goes on top like an amp rack

rack effects could go in rack too...shit don't mind me..i'm half babbling for my own similar issues....

someone needs to make a standard for synth signal+power. then we could have one cable that is both control and audio I/O AND power, like a souped up usb cable.  then have one central power signal bay and just plug your synths in and route with the mixer.

pedals should be wireless. no excuse. they are on or off or at most a range of voltages. no tone involved whatsoever heh.