Worst effects of the 80's and 90's.

Started by The Shocker, July 26, 2013, 07:30:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAGER

Quote from: dogfood on July 30, 2013, 12:42:28 AM
Quote from: RacerX on July 29, 2013, 11:42:47 AM
Any chorus pedal.

this.

I can't stand my early 80's CE-3 but for some reason I still have it.  And I bought it way back then.
No Focus Pocus

mutantcolors

Quote from: Lumpy on July 29, 2013, 12:18:58 PM
Some people turn the rate all the way down and leave it on all the time, because it adds subtle movement/depth, without being noticeable. (dudes who like "tone")

Stereo chorus plus 2 amps plus this = holy shit tone.

khoomeizhi

if anyone's looking to get rid of a shitty old chorus pedal (cheap), lemme know. want one for vocals. they do crazy shit with throatsinging. found that out when we used to run vocals through my old peavey bass combo.
let's dispense the unpleasantries

Instant Dan

I still feel this DOD is an honorable mention, good enough for Kim Thayil.

The Bandit

Been playing with a DOD FX57 Hard Rock Distortion that Jake gave me.it doesn't sound great, but it is fun.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Bandit

"Let's add a delay to our Heavy Metal pedal and call it a Hard Rock pedal."

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

the dod death metal pedal is a fucking classic..its sick as fuck on bass..

Lumpy

Quote from: mortlock on July 14, 2014, 11:47:07 PM
the dod death metal pedal is a fucking classic..its sick as fuck on bass..

It's great on keyboards and electronics. I've heard it's good for vocals? If you need feedback somewhere, it has tons of gain. Etc. One man's candy is another man's bicycle. Or something.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

tombhex

This fucking thing has to be one of the oddest, hardest-to-appropriate pedals I own. I love it, it just doesn't make sense anywhere I try to use it.

mortlock

Quote from: tombhex on July 15, 2014, 09:53:16 AM

This fucking thing has to be one of the oddest, hardest-to-appropriate pedals I own. I love it, it just doesn't make sense anywhere I try to use it.
hell yes.. the t-wah. that pedal is awesome. I had a guitar player in a band back in the early 90s that used one. I loved what he did with it. great for bluesy wah wah leads.. you could squeeze some good 70s funk out of that..all dirty and greasy..

moose23

There's a trimpot inside those T-Wahs,have a play with that if you're not getting what you want out of it.Whole range of sounds available to dial in.

tombhex

Quote from: moose23 on July 16, 2014, 06:26:59 AM
There's a trimpot inside those T-Wahs,have a play with that if you're not getting what you want out of it.Whole range of sounds available to dial in.

Shit, I never knew that. I never even thought to check! Thanks for the heads up. I always use it when jamming some weird CKY type stuff, just not to great results. Then again, I can't really play. Probably my fault.

The Shocker

Found this about the DOD Jake:

ok, this CAN be a pretty fun pedal --with a simple adjustment. This pedal has a true analog delay in it via the MN3002(? been awhile since I've had mine open.) Anyway, open her up, find the 2 trim pots inside near the MN3002 chip, one is probably for delay length and the for regeneration I guess. Just adjust them until you get the the sound you want. I have mine set up to the max length delay sounds pretty crappy! and then at about a 3/4 turn of the "Delay" pot it breaks into self-oscillation, So now it makes a great sound source. If your slightly ambitious it would be cool to bring these trim pots out so you can easily tweak them. After doing this it becomes a pretty useful pedal for what it offers it a compact space... and it's dirt cheap so what the hell.

note: if you adjust the internal trimpots you can create a delayed octave effects by maxing the delay knob and moving the (closest to bottom) trimpot untill you hear the lowest frequency of feedback and then (while imputing sound) move the middle trimpot untill you hear a pitch bent synth tone a couple seconds after each sound you put in. with this you can make crazy delayed sounds that can be 3 octave lower and sometimes completely reversed pitches.
Good Points: - delayed random synth note generator - presence knob dials in HUGE low end. - high gain butt rock distotion - quick distorted slapback delays - cheap!

showdown

Quote from: tombhex on July 15, 2014, 09:53:16 AM

I have one of those TW-1s, only with "Touch Wah" written on it. The guitar player in my old band used it with a HM-2 to create feedback-y "raygun" sounds. Pretty good as envelope followers go, I just can't figure out where to use it.

Andrew Blakk

I sincerly can't stand the chours effect. I just makes me wanna hide/run/puke. Feels like the hole 80ies was drenched in it.  ;D

Metal and Beer

I guess all/any effect has potential, but anymore I'm just like, write a song and maybe a sonic effect isn't so important. I tend to feel this way as I get older, and in terms of gear nerdery in general, too.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

RacerX

Agreed. Effects on a crappy song = sweet icing on shitcake.
Livin' The Life.

Omlet

Polish distortion stompbox from the nineties. I can't describe how bad it sounds... The worst thing is that it's still in production - new one costs about $30 and it's absolutely not worth its price. It's not worth any money - better get some meth. Seriously.

jibberish

so shitty and nasty crap-out sounding it borders on awesome but it is total shit.

Dylan Thomas

Quote from: bbottom on July 27, 2013, 09:54:03 PM
I've never played one, but  Gonkulators sound pretty terrible. For some reason they actually go for a good bit of change now too

When I played in a techno band, we used one in the effects loop for the vocals, which we didn't do a lot of.  It sounded amazing.
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Metal and Beer

Any effect that sounds awesome alone but goes AWOL as soon as the battle erupts.... ;D
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"