could you do it all with one guitar?

Started by jibberish, September 23, 2014, 12:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

omlet got me thinking. then I started wondering if I could just choose one guitar and walk away from the rest.

too painful to ponder. i'll wait until someone puts a gun to my head to choose if I have to.

I play too many different things and certain guitars just fail at certain things.  like who wants to play a whammy guitar full-time? (besides Kerry king)
but what happens when I have a whammy song? i'm not hauling my LP's out to go play in the field somewhere. I bought a beater for that.

so, to do what I want with only one guitar?, no way.

mortlock

I have pretty much played my whole life on one bass. ive had other basses come and go but I can honestly say ive used one bass for 95% of everything ive ever done in 26 years of playing..i actually feel guilty if I even think about using a different bass.

Danny G

I can do just about all I need to do with my 79 Iceman.

Gorgeous, versatile chunk of wood that guitar is.
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Omlet

I think I shouldn't answer this question :D

Of course my tele is enough for me but sometimes I think it lacks the bottom.

RacerX

No. I'd need at least one electric, a 6 string acoustic, a 12 string acoustic, a resonator & a lap steel.
Livin' The Life.

Submarine

My strat works on 90% of what I do.  However, a whammy bar makes alternate tunings difficult and sometimes certain things just sound better on a different guitar. No getting around it I suppose.

everdrone

not really.  I like to play in C# and E standard tuning.  so there is that.

the backup is nice when one guitar is in the shop, and in case of failure during a live show.

James1214

every bass I've bought as a "backup" to my rickenbacker 4003 has just paled in comparison. every recording and gig I've ever done has been with that bass (i have use backups in the event i break strings, which i do sometimes because I'm heavy handed)
words

mutantcolors

I'd whittle the collection down to my one Mockingbird, no problem.

Corey Y

If I committed to doing only one musical project, yes. I don't care that much about variety for guitar, more so for bass (which is my main instrument), but jumping between different tunings for different bands and recording projects is what justifies most of why I have different basses. As far as tone goes, I could totally get by with a P bass and a dual humbucker guitar that has coil taps for most of what I like to play.

liquidsmoke

At this point I'd need an 8 string. No way.

tossom

As much as a love the sound of my strat and tele, they cannot sound like an SG.  Which is why I also have an SG.

#Sound reasoning
"Beige rock"

mortlock

Quote from: Omlet on September 23, 2014, 12:54:44 PM
Mortlock, what bass are you using?
its a fender jazz bass..62 reissue. i bought it new in '92. up to that point i had a peavey t-40 that i started out on. it was pretty much unplayable the neck was so warped on it. it finally developed a crack and i dumped it. 

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

eyeprod

CV - Slender Fungus

Jake

I'm fairly monogamous, sticking to pretty much one guitar in each project I'm doing. However, I don't think I could "do it all" with whatever that one is.

I've got multiple guitars for many reasons — nostalgic sentiment, aesthetic appreciation, etc. But mostly just because they all sound really good in very different ways. It's fun to have more than one color in the palette of tone.
poop.

johnny problem

No.  Because a different guitar incites a different reaction.  I currently have only one electric guitar and I'm not finding this sufficient enough for other styles I want to play.

Metal and Beer

Nah, but close. I can do the majority of my "thing" with a good old Gibson (or similar, i.e. old Ibanez, Hagstrom, etc) but there are certain things I can't get out of anything but a Stratocaster.

One good Strat, one good Les Paul would cover me up right nice
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"