Main Menu

Orange Tverb 50 channel issue

Started by hayseed, June 28, 2015, 12:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hayseed

I have an issue with my Orange Thunderverb 50. It started a couple weeks ago at practice. I tend to use Channel B with the "Shape" knob. The amp seemed quieter than usual. The volume was set at 7. I switched to Channel A to check things out. It's Volume was at 2 and WAY louder than Ch 2. Clearly there was an issue. I set everything the same and still the issue was there. I installed new preamp tubes, still a problem but slightly better. I took the amp to my tech and had him check it out and install new power tubes. It's a little better but Channel 2 still lacks the volume. Now with Ch 1 on 2, Ch 2 has to be on 5 to match the volume. All in all the amp sounds great, but I think those channels should be equal in volume.

Any ideas ? Suggestions? It seems like a serious issue and I'm pretty sure it wasn't like that before. Any help
Would be great. Thanks.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

everdrone

I am not a tech but I do not have that issue with my Orange Thunderverb 50.

you might wanna get a second look then.

are you using a lot of gain on one and very little gain on the other channel?  then ya, the amp is fine, mine does that too.

it is a loud amp, but I never play mine as quietly as you at "2" volume, maybe that is part of the issue.  does the attenuator do anything to alleviate the condition?  higher volumes alleviate the condition?  do you have a lot of reverb going on?

hayseed

I don't use the attenuator so it's completely off. I'm talking about volume loss with the gain set at at 10 on both channels. Channel 2 ( Shape side) is significantly lower. My tech is actually calling Orange on this one. Lol!i thought maybe one of u guys might have an idea so I can compare .

As for playing at 2, that setting should definitely not be as loud as the second channel set at 6-7. That's something we can all agree on.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

everdrone

Quote from: hayseed on June 28, 2015, 10:45:50 AM
I don't use the attenuator so it's completely off. I'm talking about volume loss with the gain set at at 10 on both channels. Channel 2 ( Shape side) is significantly lower. My tech is actually calling Orange on this one. Lol!i thought maybe one of u guys might have an idea so I can compare .

As for playing at 2, that setting should definitely not be as loud as the second channel set at 6-7. That's something we can all agree on.

wow! no ideas then, geewiz! Jam room is a slow moving forum and there is already a stickied amp tech thread ... ???

Mr. Foxen

Swap about preamp valves, see if it changes, might be a dying pre valve.

hayseed

As stated above, the preamp tubes and power tubes have been swapped and tested.

Mr. Foxen

Just because pres are new, doesn't mean they are good, if changing them changed the issue, it is to do with them

hayseed

Again, the new preamp and power tubes were tested by my tech and found to be good. Its frustrating. I trust the guy working on it. But even he is stumped. Might be time to contact Orange directly.

Mr. Foxen

hayseed

Yes. And he wrote down the values for each of them. They were definite tested.

Mr. Foxen

Right, so if you know what was wrong with the duff one, you have an indicator of the amp problem, if its damaging a valve as part of its problem.

hayseed

It's not a tube issue. I've been all over the old ones and new ones, sockets, etc. However something seems to be wonky with the attentuator. I've been running the amp without the use of it and have had the volume issues. When using the attentuator, both channels even out when they are set at the same volume.