How Does One Correctly Prepare Music Files for CD/Bandcamp?

Started by jibberish, October 07, 2015, 09:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

I have about finished the ridiculously grueling task of trimming, compressing/gain tweaking and making some decent flowing order of the songs for my first bandcamp foray and probably a CD later.

I usually save my files as 16bit waves. audacity has a window that opens during the "export file" sequence where you can enter all the album/song/artist info.
I tried this on about half of the files, but media player isn't picking up on that like it does with other files. The possibility exists that I am just screwing up a step along the correct path, but I have no clue at this point.
I burn plenty of playlists full of tunes saved to wavefiles, to CD's, and they play anonymously, like a data CD would be expected to play.

So, what is the nice clean and thorough way to get my files all correctly tagged or aux file created or w/e needs to happen for the file to be able to go onto commercial media?

TIA  :)

RacerX

I like to marinate my files in beer & chopped garlic overnight, then grill them up with a bit of ground black pepper on top.
Livin' The Life.

juan11

srl = advancing our core selves in the spirit to be best

jibberish

well, alrighty then.  a little gen disc via the food forum.

segues all over the place.  At least y'all are having fun with it, so there is some positive in there.

I was just hoping someone would say "Use X software and add the Y and save as a Z and done! vs me climbing the curve with mr google.

Lumpy

For CD's each manufacturer should a have guidelines posted.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

socket

I don't think wav files actually hold any of that tag information. They didn't a long time ago but I might be wrong now.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

Submarine

Not sure if this is going to help but here is some info on P and Q codes for CD burning.  These codes are bit limited though. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_subcode

I used Sony's CD Architect for prepping CDs for master.

socket

CD Architect was the absolute best in 1999, I imagine it's still pretty good.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

jibberish

ok, thx all for the leads here.  I only know I want to keep the files in a lossless format if at all possible at this point.(MAYBE highest res mp3 is realistically good enough for my mickey mouse shit)
i'll read the CD prep wiki for sure and look at that genre of software that that sony cd utility is.  maybe there is a 'lite" or shareware version out there. a nice scripted idiot-proof app would suit me just fine heh.

the wave file thing makes sense now. I used to always get a second file with the same filename, but different extension, which I always kind of thought was a default info file, but I never actually interacted with it or w/e it was that created it. ..but that software is long gone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the up-side so far is I am getting really good at compressing and volume tweaking a dB or 2 at a time. it seems that 1dB-at-a-time of compression and even a dB or 2 of peak volume bump just adds fullness moreso than perceivable volume changes.
Also, the software stays pretty clean when you don't push it to extremes in one shot vs several smaller changes to get where you are going.

i do want to have decent production for this project because it is recorded live.
So as long as the sound is really nice, sketchy parts aren't so noticeable since it is still nice sounds. (the "Strymon Factor" heh)