Is submitting music to Internet radio stations pointless

Started by bbottom, November 20, 2015, 09:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

I submitted music to a few of them for shits and I'm wondering if it's just a waste of time. There are so many of them out there and I don't think that anyone even listens to most of them.

Thoughts?

everdrone

well on spotify I just subscribe and can listen to whatever bands and songs I want and am not subject to the discretion of the 'DJ'.  So I am a big fan! 

bbottom

Quote from: everdrone on November 20, 2015, 11:28:53 PM
well on spotify I just subscribe and can listen to whatever bands and songs I want and am not subject to the discretion of the 'DJ'.  So I am a big fan! 

I have yet to submit anything to spotify because I keep hearing terrible things about hos they treat artists.

Danny G

Thru ReverbNation?

Pretty much yeah.

If you know some one who is already on Internet radio, much easier.

Our own Sativa71 has a show called "The Hot Box" on Radio Nope and will be debuting the Ocean of Stars EP on Sunday

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

everdrone

Quote from: bbottom on November 21, 2015, 09:31:10 AM
Quote from: everdrone on November 20, 2015, 11:28:53 PM

I have yet to submit anything to spotify because I keep hearing terrible things about hos they treat artists.

I cant imagine making any money at all by putting music up on spotify, but if you put your music up, then everyone can listen to it and sing along at the rock show!

sleestak

Quote from: Danny G on November 21, 2015, 05:33:35 PM
Thru ReverbNation?

Pretty much yeah.

If you know some one who is already on Internet radio, much easier.

Our own Sativa71 has a show called "The Hot Box" on Radio Nope and will be debuting the Ocean of Stars EP on Sunday

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure he has an exclusive contract with the obelisk.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

Pissy

CD Baby submission pretty much does all of that distribution to e-stations whether you like it or not.  There is also a distinct possibility that CD Baby picks it up from places like Bandcamp or reverbnation too.  Bottom line, if you put your music online through the normal channels, I don't believe that there is much you can do to keep it away from places like spotify.

Vinyls.   deal.

johnny problem

There are a lot of people who listen to internet radio.  Your best bet however, would be submitting some material to a college/university station.  All you need is a CD (preferably), artist info, and what you think is your most accessible song.

bbottom

Quote from: johnny problem on November 22, 2015, 02:02:40 PM
There are a lot of people who listen to internet radio.  Your best bet however, would be submitting some material to a college/university station.  All you need is a CD (preferably), artist info, and what you think is your most accessible song.

I've actually been doing this quite a bit. Oh and it turns out we are already on Spotify.

Mr. Foxen

Gotta consider how much effort someone who lets internet radio playlist for them will put into actually tracking down a band they heard on radio. Assuming some sort of direct engagement you can see is your goal.

Dangling Fury

I listen to some internet stations when doing yard work, driving etc. but rarely to I remember to follow up on a band I dug cuz there's just so much shit played. One thing, sometimes I'll listen to a metal pod that will review new music, talk about the band, play a track or two and I tend to check out those bands more frequently. I've bought a bunch of shit that way. There's a ton of these in metal but rarely do they cover the doom/stoner genre, and I haven't found any shows dedicated to reviewing stoner shit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk