your favorite 'heavy' single coil pickup/strat players?

Started by Beta Cloud, November 12, 2015, 02:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beta Cloud

mine...
Jimi, Blackmore, Yngwie, Tommy Bolin, Eddie Clarke, Rory Gallagher, Ed Mundell, dude from The Glasspack, Adrian Belew... a whole bunch of others.

reason being, i haven't owned or played a strat in many years. ditched the neck diving sg and got a bit of quid in the satchell... so there's a great probability that i'm pulling the pin tomorrow and bringing this home-

don't get me wrong, i love my les pauls and play them first and foremost, but want to get back to that buttery, fuzzy, strat sound.

so yeah, if you dig strat toanz for tha heaviez, which players do YOU dig riffrockers?
why does it hurt when i pee?

mortlock

Clapton and stevie ray. theres tons of blues guys who sound great on the strats/teles.

so did you buy it?? pics please.

Submarine

Check out zexcoil.  I use a combination of single and humbuckers (which fit in the single coil slot).

Beta Cloud

Quote from: mortlock on November 12, 2015, 05:33:36 PM
Clapton and stevie ray. theres tons of blues guys who sound great on the strats/teles.

indeed Morty-

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Submarine on November 12, 2015, 06:17:21 PM
Check out zexcoil.  I use a combination of single and humbuckers (which fit in the single coil slot).

'throaty' and 'juicy' buckers'... you've sparked my curiosity!

but they're so weird looking.

mortlock

Quote from: Beta Cloud on November 12, 2015, 10:52:49 PM
Quote from: mortlock on November 12, 2015, 05:33:36 PM

indeed Morty-

sick!! sweet color.

Beta Cloud

video.
bad video.
but what the hell, it's a video.
i'm all like machine gunning n' shit.

johnny problem

The stratocasters that I've tried never really got me all that excited.  Love the tone and sounds, and the flexibilities of the guitar in that regard.  I just find the guitar to be too "loose", like the strings don't feel tight enough.  Maybe it's just having to change the string gauge, but anyways, it's never had me pull the trigger on one.

Submarine

Quote from: johnny problem on November 13, 2015, 11:29:17 AM
The stratocasters that I've tried never really got me all that excited.  Love the tone and sounds, and the flexibilities of the guitar in that regard.  I just find the guitar to be too "loose", like the strings don't feel tight enough.  Maybe it's just having to change the string gauge, but anyways, it's never had me pull the trigger on one.

I feel the opposite, I love the longer scale length and think it adds tension.  I always thought I'd be a Les Paul player - turns out I am a strat player instead. Now that I am only piecing  Frankenstrat/partscasters. I can have strat bodies made with heavier wood to get fatter tones. 

RacerX

^
Yeah, The longer scale makes for more tension vs. Gibby scale.

For a single coil, I prefer the P90s, but that's a different thread.
Livin' The Life.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: Submarine on November 13, 2015, 02:19:23 PM
Quote from: johnny problem on November 13, 2015, 11:29:17 AM

I feel the opposite, I love the longer scale length and think it adds tension.  I always thought I'd be a Les Paul player - turns out I am a strat player instead. Now that I am only piecing  Frankenstrat/partscasters. I can have strat bodies made with heavier wood to get fatter tones. 

i think the string tension feels a bit tighter too, but am loving it. when i side-by side with the les pauls, i can feel it pronounced. love it.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: RacerX on November 13, 2015, 02:24:42 PM
^

i initially started the thread about strat single coil toanz, but yeah, p90's are the shit man.  
thinking beside iommi, townsend, thorogood, beatles, and alot of old punk stuff, who else had that warm and buttery p90 sound?
any favorite song examples bruv?

RacerX

Quote from: Beta Cloud on November 18, 2015, 03:31:35 AM
^

i initially started the thread about strat single coil toanz, but yeah, p90's are the shit man.  
thinking beside iommi, townsend, thorogood, beatles, and alot of old punk stuff, who else had that warm and buttery p90 sound?

The warm & buttery is probably best exemplified by Wes Montgomery:

...and for the overdriven midrange honk, Leslie West:

Mike McReady from Pearl Jam & Greg Anderson of Goatsnake are also P-90 players.

Livin' The Life.

Beta Cloud

Quote from: RacerX on November 18, 2015, 02:21:33 PM
Quote from: Beta Cloud on November 18, 2015, 03:31:35 AM
^

The warm & buttery is probably best exemplified by Wes Montgomery:

nice picks man!

yeah love wes's tone and between him and django... my first real jazz guitarplayer loves studying in college. the whole thumb playing was really unique.
from wes you go to benson, from him you go to norman brown and all the modern octave line players.

and that leslie west tone... love it.
wouldn't mind getting that sound in my stoner band in one of my lesters.
i see the bucker sized ones and am thinking about the GFS mean 90's. they're cheap and get good reviews. any experience with em man?
either way really fun talking about this stuff here my friend-

Beta Cloud

did a vid with it tuned to Bflat, high gain amp.
sounds pretty cool.

as i wrote in the notes-
"playing an american special strat tuned in Bflat and putting it through the motions... much to my surprise, no setup alterations were needed; i simply restrung it from a set of 10's to a set of 13's. no bridge, neck, or pickup changes were necessary.
i specifically played it in the vid in different pickup positions through the same amp setting to emphasize the characteristic sounds of the pickups and tone circuitry through in a high gain amp tone.
enjoy."

crazy right?

Beta Cloud

Beta Cloud

TannisRoot

Love strats, but love the fat sound from gibsons. One day I'll have to try a mahogany fat strat!

Beta Cloud

Quote from: TannisRoot on November 23, 2015, 04:48:06 PM
Love strats, but love the fat sound from gibsons. One day I'll have to try a mahogany fat strat!

it won't sound exactly like a les paul or a strat, when you go frankenstein... it's a whole new think. often great.

enjoying the strat sounds for now after years of les pauls primarily being my go-to's.

then after a while i'll go back. and forth, hah.