Is it worth having a dedicated band website?

Started by bbottom, October 24, 2016, 08:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

What do you think? I can't see it really hurting...but is it worth it? I mean I couldn't tell you the last time I went to a bands actual website to find out anything about them.

mortlock

I mean if it free than maybe but if not then fuck that.

bbottom

Quote from: mortlock on October 24, 2016, 09:25:25 PM
I mean if it free than maybe but if not then fuck that.

That's kind of where I was at. So after looking around a bit you can make a free band site with Wix.

I was messing around with it for awhile and for the most part it seems pretty straight forward.

Danny G

Depends on what you're trying to do.

If you're just making some noise with friends and having fun, then free vs paid site is totally up to how much money you want to spend.

If you're trying to make an impression on clubs for good gigs, then spending the money and doing it right would be very beneficial.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

everdrone

my opinion is that if your gonna bring like 10 peeps to a show then no, and not many bands do that.  clubs are gonna check your band facebook activity to see if your gonna bring a lot of folks to a show, they just wanna sell bear and tickets. 

fans can listen to your music for free on soundcloud/bandcamp etc so they know your songs.

mortlock

Between fb, bandcamp and soundcloud..not to mention shit like twitter and tumblr and instagram, how many websites/access points does one band need.

spookstrickland

I say no to, unless you have lots of content you want to share in a special way.  I just let my Tombstoner site go because Facebook is just way more easy to network and promote on.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Andrew Blakk

Seems like a lot of bands just have a website with the links to their various other places mentioned above.

So why not? It can't hurt.

socket

Yeah I'd set one up with at least links to the social sites.
Don't feed the trolls... and don't be a pussy.

everdrone

if its free do it, just make sure it is updated regularly to generate followers/users

twitter
facebook
soundcloud
bandcamp
blogs
youtube

MOOOAARRR!!!  HAHA MASSIVE ACTION!!!

bbottom

So I've been working on a site off and on now for a bit and I've come to the conclusion that I really hate it.

heytrid

dedicated website to start no, URL for the band that just forwards to your facebook/other chosen site (bandcamp then it has links to facebook etc, soundcloud) then yes.