Awesome Pedals that never sucked

Started by spookstrickland, April 27, 2011, 03:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

There are lots of vintage pedals that are pretty spotty when it comes to tone or quality control and it makes it hard to find a good one.

What are the pedals that were nearly 100 percent great tone and quality control wise?

I would say the Tubescreamer.  I have never played one that was a dud.

What other pedals are out there that you just can not go wrong with?
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Hemisaurus

Under awful pedals that always suck, I'll nominate the DS-1 :)

johnny problem

LogicalFrank

A few years ago, you could say the Rat. Now you cannot. MXR pedals seem like they are always pretty good in general. I dunno if there were really bad years of Big Muffs as even the cheapo ones always sounded pretty good too. But, I mean, who's to say what sucks? I am sure if you found the exact Fuzz Face Jimi Hendrix actually used and his exact Marshall and exact Strat, half the guys who plugged into this rig would hate it.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

dogfood

anything (fuzzface) with germs in it runs the risk of shite tone.  period the end.  Jimi was known to go through an entire box of units and maybe find one he liked.
Problem solving whiskey!

Lumpy

Seems like Fuzz Faces are real finnicky about what pedals are in front and behind them, too. :(
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

eyeprod

I'd say a lot of the electro-harmonix and boss pedals. Depends on what you like, I guess. Some people seem to dig that heavy metal boss pedal. I've got a metal zone that I like. Every EH pedal I ever bought was very good, or great, right out of the box. Some stuff is also easy to mod, so that makes for a great pedal, imo.

Some people do get picky about tube screamers too, btw. A certain IC is supposed to be "the one" you need for the ultimate ts.
CV - Slender Fungus

Baltar

While we're on Fuzz Faces, the MXR Classic Fuzz works great with wahs.  Jeorge from Way Huge designed it.  I have a Marshall SupaFuzz clone and I tried it after my wah last night and the wah total disappeared.  All I got when I stepped on it was a volume boost.  I usually run it before the wah and my Muff after.  I had the Ox Fuzz for about a week and it was KILLER.  He really does one of the best FF's out there.  Lots and lots of sustain, nasty and thick and it did work with a wah.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Worthless Willie

Quote from: hörnsöfthedevil on April 28, 2011, 11:44:55 AM
Quote from: johnny problem on April 27, 2011, 12:02:24 PM
I'm nominating Line 6 DL4.
What?! Why? That's a good, reliable pedal.

I think he was nominating it for the good side.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

johnny problem

It's an awesome pedal.  It does NOT suck.

spookstrickland

+1 on the MXR pedals.  I don't think I've ever played one that was not great and I just can not live with out my Phase 90 and it has been going great for over 15 years and was used when I got it!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org