Songs you become obsessed with learning

Started by Ranbat, April 20, 2011, 10:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

My current one is 'Layla', the Derek and the Dominoes version. I don't how the hell it came about, but I just gotta learn it.
Meh :/

VOLVO)))

I went through a stage where I wanted to know every Kyuss song known to man.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Isabellacat

oh gawd..... for awhile i was really obsessed with figuring out 'Goodbye to Romance'. I love Randy Rhoads. I figured out the guitar solo but the rest is kinda hard. I did figure out 'Dee' tho and always play that when i practice.

I learned how to play 'Fade to Black' in it's entirety. Was very obsessed with that...I could even play along to it and could get down Kirk Hammett's end solo almost note for note. except for that finger tapping part at the end. could never figure that stuff out.

VOLVO)))

Tapping is a trick I use to impress people in music stores. Almost useless to me, otherwise.

I do tapped out melodies sometimes, on bass, other than that... I can't think of anywhere that I use it.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Isabellacat

Quote from: SunnO))) on April 21, 2011, 12:03:31 AM
Tapping is a trick I use to impress people in music stores. Almost useless to me, otherwise.

I do tapped out melodies sometimes, on bass, other than that... I can't think of anywhere that I use it.

lol i dunno.... looking at the tabs for Randy Rhoads solos looks really complicated,like all mathematical and stuff.  but yea tapping is funny. i just always get bored with it tho.

i can play 'Asteroid' by Kyuss in it's entirety on my acoustic and if i play it on electric,i gotta have some delay for that trippy middle part. i'd like to figure out some Iron Maiden songs.

johnny problem

Currently it is Dragonaut, I'm getting my ass kicked, but fun nonetheless.

giantchris

I feel weird in this but I find playing other people's music boring.  I do like taking sheet music and analyzing what they are doing harmonically though more then actually playing it.

LogicalFrank

The only song written by a band that I was not in which I can play all the way through is "Proud Mary." And I only know it on the ukulele.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

inductorguitars

Red by King Crimson.

Finally looked at the tab and said OH THAT's it?

mortlock

message in a bottle..not real complex but the 'feel' is fucking hard to nail..not easy to play at all.

SpaceTrucker

Warning By black sabbath, the bassline, also "brandy" By looking glass, the rhythm guitar and bassline.

Not as hard as it sounds. I really need to practice stuff more. I cannot "wow" anyone at a music store though. Never tried. Of course I can slap very well, but only on my own equipment. It just sounds nasty when I use an amp I'm not used to.

Really everyother song recently that I've learned I just stumbled upon it dicking around  and decided to learn the other parts of it.

dogfood

dazed and confused...such impossible bow sounds...do you want to be the guy who buys a bow just to play Page...not me, man.  why that song?
Problem solving whiskey!

Isabellacat

i like trying to learn a song more by ear than looking at the guitar tab actually,but tablature is cool to be more accurate,although most of the time guitar tabs can be wrong . i like looking at both the tab and reading the notes,but learning a song by ear is better.

anyways i'm currently learning how to play 'Landslides' on my acoustic lol.

neighbor664

I've been trying to nail the slide and vocal parts for The Faces - "Stay With Me" to the point of obsession.

SpaceTrucker

Cisneros' groove? 1 8 9 7 8 Or B B(octave) C A B(octave) again, all while kinda droning the Root. Atleast For the general feel.

EddieMullet

I've always wanted to be able to play "Rock Bottom" by UFO all the way through including solo. Just can't get it right.

"Over The Mountain" by Ozzy and "Neon Knights" by Black Sabbath are the other two, again just can't get it right never feels or sounds right.

Been trying for too many years on all 3 of those songs too many to admit.

Ranbat

I have songs like that. No matter how long I've been stabbing away at them, they just never sound right. Even after I buy the tab book.
Meh :/

Wesogkan

Apparently I know a fuckload of covers...am I the only one who spent hours in their bedroom in high school learning songs note for note by playing along to cds/tapes? Entire albums? Shit that's how I learned to play guitar and write music. I must know 200+ songs by other bands...alot of good it does me, I can't find anyone to mess around on covers and don't want a cover band.

...currently I've been learning shit off a mix cd another band leaves in our space, Saint Vitus 'Born Too Late' and whatever comes after it (don't know the band). Stuff like Electric Wizard I can get the song in a few seconds, Mastodon takes longer for obvious reasons. I can get riffs easily, but totally blow at solos.