Pedalboards, what's the point?

Started by Hemisaurus, April 28, 2011, 04:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baltar

Skateboarding ruined my back, so I gotta have wheels on everything.

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

mawso

I bought a pedaltrain nano a few weeks ago

I guess I could have DIY'ed something together.. but.. it wouldn't have been THAT much cheaper.. and I'm not that handy so by the time I worked out what parts I need, took the time to buy them all, borrowed some power tools and put it all together then it would have taken me 17 times as long as it would to just earn the money to buy the fucking thing

they're pretty bloody cheap anyway

Baltar

Hit up a Goodwill, Salvation Army, or second-hand store and get a suitcase for it.  Soft-cases always lose fights with gravity and speaker cabs.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

hayseed

I bought a non powered hard shell(diamond plated no less) pedal board about 4 years ago from Musicians Friend( I think?). I can't remember the name but it was under $50 and has lasted. I use the 1 Spot and honestly have yet to find a better power source for cheap. I ran all of my wires underneath the top piece of plywood and drilled holes to expose them for the pedals. I can fit about 5-6 pedals including a Wah on it nicely. The top comes off like a road case too which is a bonus aginst just using a suitcase.

My only complaint is that my pedals are all stacked in rectangle formation. I personally would rather have them in a straight line, one after another. I plan to build one like that but use the one i currently own as my guildline because it is built so well.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

h.p. lovecraft

I only use a few pedals anyway so I just string 'em up and throw 'em down.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." -- Me

Volume

Tables (and furniture in general), what's the point? Why not just get some pieces of wood and a couple of nails and build your own?   ;)

Hemisaurus

Hey, up until you get married or move in with a girl (or boy) I agree. I never bought furniture until after I was married.

My bedside table is an 18" speaker cab. If I were ever to get divorced, I imagine a pair of Peavey 2x15's on their side, with a board across, and a futon mat, would make a good bed. 15" folded horns with cushions can be couches, smaller cabs for end tables.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 04, 2011, 03:56:37 PM
Hey, up until you get married or move in with a girl (or boy) I agree. I never bought furniture until after I was married.

My bedside table is an 18" speaker cab. If I were ever to get divorced, I imagine a pair of Peavey 2x15's on their side, with a board across, and a futon mat, would make a good bed. 15" folded horns with cushions can be couches, smaller cabs for end tables.

i would buy the whole "hemi" bedroom set.

Hemisaurus

I was thinking more of furnishing a double wide ;D

Bro. Righteous

Pedal Boards are to guitarist, what drum risers are to drummer fucks I suspect - Hey, I'm one of 'em!
Drummer fuck that is.
...but I'm def...not opposed to just strewning'em out all righteous and incongruious like...beautiful
snakes of electric gas congealing to the mighty whims of a strong fucking hand.

Yup.
I ain't drunk - I'm just drinkin...

DustinAR

I have the Rondo board on the bottom of Frank's post and I'll agree, its a piece of shit. Not sturdy at all. I'm still using it but the cloth is coming up off the inside, the latch bent not long after getting it and the body is all dented from just gigging with it.

VOLVO)))

Aluminum dents, it isn't nine feet thick, and re-enforced with rebar. I think you guys are being crybabies.

I have the same line of case, and when the felt inside lifted, I contact cemented the shit back down. Big deal, for 69 dollars I have a pedalboard that keeps my pedals safe, holds all of my pedals and cables (safely) during transport, and... oh yeah, keeps my pedals safe. If you want a pedalboard made out of sheet steel, I can weld you one for 250 bucks, plus the 9000 dollars shipping because it weighs as much as a Yugo.

Wahh wahh wahh

I can only image what happens when the finish on one of your guitars chips because you slammed it on stage in a fit of rage when it wouldn't stay perfectly in tune after you laid the headstock on the floor and used your foot to play Eruption backwards.

/rant
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

How much to convert my Yugo into a pedalboard  ;D

Be Happy, it's Friday  ;)

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

LogicalFrank

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 06, 2011, 03:11:32 PM
Aluminum dents, it isn't nine feet thick, and re-enforced with rebar. I think you guys are being crybabies.

I have the same line of case, and when the felt inside lifted, I contact cemented the shit back down. Big deal, for 69 dollars I have a pedalboard that keeps my pedals safe, holds all of my pedals and cables (safely) during transport, and... oh yeah, keeps my pedals safe. If you want a pedalboard made out of sheet steel, I can weld you one for 250 bucks, plus the 9000 dollars shipping because it weighs as much as a Yugo.

Wahh wahh wahh

I can only image what happens when the finish on one of your guitars chips because you slammed it on stage in a fit of rage when it wouldn't stay perfectly in tune after you laid the headstock on the floor and used your foot to play Eruption backwards.

/rant

The hinge on mine broke before I ever even gigged w/ it. It fell apart spontaneously when it was sitting on a keyboard stand in the corner of my practice space. For the money, I did not expect something I could drive a car over it but I did expect something that would do it's job one time, which the Rondo case did not do.

In short, I am sorry that you made the same bad decision we did in buying that crappy pedal case but I do think you will be better off in the long run admitting to yourself it's a piece of crap and not relying on it to do anything, specifically not relying on it to be a case for your pedals.

For the record, if Rondo made the heavy duty version in the same size as the one I got that fell apart, which is not too much more expensive for something that does it's job ten times better, I would buy it today. I've taken that one to dozens of gigs and it's as solid as the day I bought it.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

VOLVO)))

Shut up, Frank.  ;D

I was just jerking you guys around. I seriously do like my pedal case, though. Mine has had zero issues, and it always does me right.

Maybe you got a lemon? Maybe YOU are a lemon? Perhaps it was YOU, Not-so-logicalfrank?

:D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

LogicalFrank

Your pedal board sucks and you suck!
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

DustinAR

Hey I was just stating the facts. Don't deny it, its a piece of shit.  ;D It was cheap though so I can't complain too much, you get what you pay for I suppose. It's still being used for now though but I don't see it lasting long.

justinhedrick