Main Menu

What's your favourite 12AX7

Started by Hemisaurus, May 16, 2011, 10:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Who makes it, what is it? (ECC, 7025, what?)

mawso

I like the JJ ECC83 with the gold pins

I've never really delved much into the world of NOS valves or anything

I played around at mixing/matching a while ago and then once I found something I liked it all felt a bit corksniffy for me - not to say there's nothing to it all

LogicalFrank

Tungsol 12ax7 is my favorite in my Champ... My other amps, I just pretty much use whatever in there. 
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Pissy

New issue Tung sol's are good to me. 

Check into old console record players for Vintage 12ax7's  Gold in them thar hills.
Vinyls.   deal.

eyeprod

I use the electro harmonix 12ax7
CV - Slender Fungus

inductorguitars

NOS Mullards  ;D

But seriously for guitar/bass amps any of the newer tubes will work. Eastern block manus are probably better than the Chinese ones tho.

Hemisaurus

Hey don't you knock the Chinese. John Chamber's (he of the 1000W tube amps) says the Shugang KT-88's are the closest in design to the original GEC's, which I confessed has piqued my interest in them.

Admittedly, that's not a preamp tube, but I won't tolerate racism, unless it's against fat, white, redneck, motherfucking yanks ;)

Sunn, I'll remove the above comment as soon as someone doesn't realise I'm joking

eyeprod

yeah the chinese can make good stuff. It can depend on the company that commissions them to make a part. If they want cheap, they'll get cheap. We (at my work) have a line of motorcycle rims made in china, and they're good quality for the price because we specced to them a quality design. They could be better, but price has to be low enough to compete with all the other cheapo rims. We also have the premium japanese made rims for those who want the best. I imagine that it's the same story with other chinese made products. my 2 cents.
CV - Slender Fungus

inductorguitars

Well I'm every you said but not too fat.
If it's not Scottish it's crap!  :-*

Not really knocking the Chinese toobs, I just think they can be iffy. Good tubes are good tubes regardless where they are made.

Hemisaurus

Maybe it's the travel? When you think about flying or shipping tubes round the world, they probably just pack them in the old cardboard cartons?

Fuhgawz

I liked the Tung Sols when I compared them to JJ's. Sounded 'bigger' to me.

RAGER

Not sure I have a fav but right now I'm enjoying some Matsushita 12ax7's that I scavenged out of a 70's Pioneer reverb unit.
I'm ok with the current JJ's too
No Focus Pocus