Main Menu

Anyone played a Granger?

Started by Hemisaurus, May 22, 2011, 07:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

I was looking at a local transformer manufacturer, and they had clips of a transformer shootout performed by Granger Amps. Never heard of 'em, but they have some cool heads, and are pricing a little cheaper than Electric or Verellen (at least on the bass heads, I always check the hi-wattage beast first) $1800 for a sextet of KT-88's, and the back panel looks kinda nifty.

Kind of reminds me of some of the higher power Sunn designs, or the Fender PS300/400, using a pentode for a phase splitter / driver (EL34 in this case).

inductorguitars

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 22, 2011, 07:01:14 PM
using a pentode for a phase splitter / driver (EL34 in this case).

A pentode in triode mode?

Hemisaurus

Don't think so, pentode in triode tends to be more hi-fi output for linearity I thought?

Anyhoo, according to the YouTube it's based on the MOABA and that uses an interstage transformer, so basically the EL34 is run as a Class A, hence it can add it's break up to the mix, then the output of the transformer is center tapped and you get two balanced out of phase signals for driving the pairs of power tubes.

So it's an amp within an amp :)

inductorguitars

Damn.

How long do those tubes last? They must be driven HARD!

The Fender looks like the 6v6 (310V!) is driving the tranny so the tranny is doing the phase splitting. Or am I reading it wrong?

Hemisaurus

I think your paraphrasing what I already said, the PS300 looks similar to the MOABA? Yes it's like a DI box, the transformer provides a balanced +ve and -ve going signal to drive the output tubes