Top of the line Vol / Tone pots

Started by Hemisaurus, May 30, 2011, 04:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Quote from: mortlock on May 29, 2011, 11:00:06 PM
what are some top of the line pots for volume and tone control..??
i want something with a nice tight feel /sweep..

Fuhgawz

Most people go for CTS pots. They are widely available and are good quality. Bourns pots are also really good, but have a bit looser 'twist' if you understand what I'm saying. CTS have a little stiffer feel. Alpha's are also good, but CTS and Bourns are a bit heavier. That doesn't really matter inside a guitar though, so any of those three will do.

RS Guitarworks sells pre wired kits and has a good name: http://www.rsguitarworks.net/cms2/

db3jed

What Fuhgawz said.
Dimarzio is another to consider.
Not sure if they build theirs or subcontract them out but they have a nice feel to them and seem well made.
That's what I've got in my main guitar (tone pot is a push/push DPDT switch for splitting both pups) and I'm completely happy with them.
Not sure if they qualify as "top of the line" though.

VOLVO)))

CTS are the shit.

As always, lube 'em before you put 'em in. It'll extend time between cleanings and it'll keep them from freezing up on you.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

CTS's are my vote as well. they seem to last longer as well. plus they don't feel like you are going to break them when you roll the volume down "with a quickness".

Chovie D

to answer Mortlocks original question , or try to answer...
I think "feel" might have to do more with linear versus audio tapered.
I know that some use one for volume and another kind for tone.
I dont recall the differences or the particulars, but one gives you a different range on the knob I think...a different sweep, the change is only at the tail end of the knob in other words.. i dont recall...google guitar linear vs audio taper and see what you can learn?

Instant Dan

Don't use those Fender No Load Pots.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Chovie D on June 01, 2011, 11:38:31 AM
to answer Mortlocks original question , or try to answer...
I think "feel" might have to do more with linear versus audio tapered.
I know that some use one for volume and another kind for tone.
I dont recall the differences or the particulars, but one gives you a different range on the knob I think...a different sweep, the change is only at the tail end of the knob in other words.. i dont recall...google guitar linear vs audio taper and see what you can learn?
I don't know what you mean by feel, but some manufacturers sell different stiffnesses of pot, this one is hard to turn, this one is easy to turn.

Changing taper, would give you a fairly drastic change, audio taper is also known as logarithmic taper, the human ear does not hear in a straight line, you know the whole it takes a 500W amp to be twice as loud as a 50W amp deal, logarithmic pots are using the same idea. So the pot at midpoint will sound half as loud as it will all the way up. Replace that with a linear pot, and the midpoint volume will be indistinguishable from the full-on, half as loud will occur in under the first quarter turn.