Main Menu

guitar and bass cabs...

Started by VOLVO))), May 28, 2011, 12:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

You ever get sick of seeing the same shit, over and over? Black slant cab, black grill cloth, blah blah nlah. Its all the same shit. They do indeed serve their purpose, but sometimes I want a little spice. I remember the first time I saw an emperor, i was awestruck. Ive been fiddling with a few ideas around the shop, and thought it would be interesting to see what you clowns hsve to say. What would YOU like to see on a cab? Personally, Orange cabs look the best, but there is so much real estate on the facings, that I almost couldnt justify not inlaying it with ornate hardwoods, or custom carvings...

GO.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Like every other thing you have, it's functional not an art piece, it would be like us caring what paintbrush Degas used, or what chisel Michelangelo carved David with, it doesn't matter it's the end product. I just feel like beating heads off of walls when I see people spending stupid amounts of money on a wooden box with 4 speakers in it, and heaven help you if you don't conform, and you don't play 4x12's for guitar or 8x10's for bass.  >:(

This to me is what it's about, raw guts, no fancy trim.

VOLVO)))

This was directed toward people who like to mix form and function. Totally not for the punk rock crowd. So, you're out, Captain Shittyrattlecanpaintjob. :D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Sort of a if it's not Sunn0))), it's crap aesthetic, eh.

I've been trying to convince a woodworking buddy of mine to get into speaker building, explaining how much stupid money people will lay out on a cab.

VOLVO)))

Not really. Its more of a "I can build it how I want it, and I want something out of the ordinary." I dont care what others play, but if i want some elaborate cab made from cocobolo and purpleheart, with tacky ornate persian curtain rods and gold trim, you shouldnt be bashing your head at what I wanted, and expected to pay for. I wasnt saying it was wrong to play ordinary shit, I play Marshall for fucks sake, I was saying i want to see something fucking cool once in a while that actually took some time and skill, as opposed to a mass produced slave labor cab.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

You're grumpy today, must be all the corn...  ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Corn's just been planted, dumbass, and I wasn't planning on banging my head off a wall ;)

Seriously though, rather than putting a silk dress on a sow, how about using your skills to reinvent it, there's got to be a better way to build a 4x12, think of all the empty space inside. I think more beautiful than a purpleheart inlaid cab made of cocoa butter would be a cab that folds down into a 14" cube. Or a folded horn cab, that folds up, and unfolds, or has a pair of ancilliary speakers inside, that pull out, like the old Peavey subsystem whose name I forget.

I even admired Joel's idea of a field unit which was just a baffle and a prop, but you could take it so much further.

PS the paint is actually from PA hire more than the punk, we painted all the cabs black, and left a can of black paint in the trucks and the shop for touch up. In the slack periods we'd repaint the most beat monitors and cabs and have 'em like new again.

Fluorescent green rattlecan though, that was totally punk. ;D

VOLVO)))

Im not an inventor, im an improver.

When's the next livestock swap meet?   ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

I don't care if they're black, green, or pink. It's all about the speaker combination and the amount of air I can move.

Alright, I probably couldn't deal with the pink for long before hitting it up with a can of BBQ Black, but you get my point.

Livin' The Life.

Jor el

I want one that lights up to the beat like those radio shack hoose "speakers" from the olden days.
What Would Scooby Do ?

ROWDYBEER

Hemi is that your shit with man is the bastard written on it? Are you Henry?

blackkrosses

I was extremely impressed when I first saw Emporer cabs. Like big square fine finished coffee tables.
But I also always thought the old Univox 412's were cool, with the tolexed baffle.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: ROWDYBEER on May 28, 2011, 02:58:51 PM
Hemi is that your shit with man is the bastard written on it? Are you Henry?
I wish, that guy has made some intersting stuff, but no it's just a pic I have from a while back.

Sunn, don't sell yourself short, if you can inlay stuff, surely you can port, hinge, etc. I wish I had better shop skills. ;)

Say something like a 4x12 that's actually a 3x12, put in a center partition, make the top part a regular closed back design, throw a pair of 30-50W 4 ohm 12's in there wired in series. Put a bass 12" in the bottom at 8 ohms make it a ported cabinet, wire the driver in parallel (or series) the 8 ohm driver gets twice the power of the other two, you've got a faux sub on your amp, with no extra crossover or whatever.

That's just some random crap off the top of my head.

I like those light up speakers too, I had some simple circuits somewhere, depending on the amp, certain lamps can just be wired in like a speaker.