Main Menu

Gretsch

Started by bass sic, May 30, 2011, 12:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bass sic

So I'm getting dangerously close to pulling the trigger on a gretsch 6120 semi hollow. Even tho I'm broke as fuck right now I've convinced myself that this magical guitar will make me a better player. Anyway, anyone have any experience with this Korean made entry level guitar? The few I've tried at guitar center seemed good enough, but I'm not much of a guitarist.

Ranbat

6120? That's the $2000+ USA made version. Do you mean the 5120? That's the Electromatic Korean made version. I would hardly call it an entry level guitar though. Beautiful guitar though. Will it make you a better player? Only if it inspires you to practice more often. Which color?
Meh :/

bass sic

I meant 5120, and by entry level I mean the most affordable gretsch. I'm sure it would inspire me to practice more, but in my brain I've convinced myself I will be awesome if I had this guitar. Bad gas.

Ranbat

You know, attitude is everything. If you believe you're awesome, you just may well be  ;D I've played them at the local GC and love them. I think they sound great right out of the box. Plus, Kristy Wallace (Poison Ivy) of the Cramps had a 6120, so I'm totally sold on them.
Meh :/

clockwork green

Lately I've been getting the itch to buy one of the original Gretsch Malcolm Young's...the single pickup model. I played one years ago and loved it. I've loved all of the Gretsch's I've played even some of the Electromatic's. A good Gretsch will twang like a Tele and rock like a Gibson.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Lumpy

Gretsches give me a huge boner. The visual design on most of those guitars is so fucking sweet.

I played one of those in a store once, for 5 minutes. It was awesome.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Woody

I love Gretsch guitars. I have 2 of them, a rectangular Bo Diddley model and one of the Billy-Bo's. A 6120 has been on my wish list for many years. I say go for it. Like someone else mentioned, Poison Ivy of the Cramps played one and she's the coolest.

RacerX

I am totally green with envy on the BillyBo, Woody.

I have wanted one since they came out, but they cost way too much dinero to justify buying one. Sooo sweet, I dig the reverse ones best...

Livin' The Life.