Ever feel like you lost your chops?

Started by VOLVO))), May 22, 2011, 12:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Worthless Willie

I play so many shows, that I don't really practice at home.  Seem to stay about the same, for the most part.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

RacerX

My chops ebb and flow. The only time I totally lost them was the 11 years I stopped playing while I raced bikes. Sold all my gear & went for it.

The coolest thing was that it all came rushing back to me. After some weeks of clumsy guitardedness, I started improving dramatically. After a few months, I was cruising along better than ever.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

Eleven years? How did you do that?

I still want that Mockingbird.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RacerX

Try training and racing bicycles at the competitive level. There's no time/energy for anything but training, resting, eating & sleeping. It demands total dedication.

I won 2 state championships at the expert level, but then I felt I needed to get back to making music, so I did.

That Mockingbird was sweet, alright. *sigh*
Livin' The Life.

tossom

After 3 years of not playing at all, I briefly joined a band last year - stamina was the key thing I was missing too.  Technique wise I was rusty, but it seemed to come back to the level I was at previously without too much hard work.  Band split in April so probably back to not playing or occasional bedroom playing now, at least I know I could join a band a again if the chance ever arises.  Used to play piano up til I was 17, and took music theory to grade 5 - don't think I could read a sheet of music now anyway!  Was always shit at piano tho ;D
"Beige rock"

Instant Dan

I feel like my stamina and rhythm is improving. Technique and lead wise, still lackluster but I put those aside because I felt like my rhtyhm sucked and I feel that is far more important for band situations than a million notes per minute and not being able to play to a 4/4 beat like I know so many shredders around me.