Main Menu

gripping resin

Started by Barnabas, June 13, 2011, 05:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barnabas

ok so I started using just a tiny bit of a product called "gorilla snot" to help keep hold of my pick during the extra fast parts on long songs where I am sweating and holding on for dear life. It has helped, and in situations where I might have dropped a pick before, I have been able to keep hold or re-position without dropping it. problem is I seem to have lost my tub of gorilla snot, and it seems to be discontinued. No websites have it available and some have it listed as discontinued. Is there something similar to it? I am looking for direct suggestions on a replacement product to use as I was using it, not for suggestions on textured picks, or how to better hold a guitar pick or change the way i play. I am not using very much of the stuff at all, just a tiny dab smeared around to combat the sweat. Just hoping to find something to use in its place. Thanks brops.
I ain't shook.

RacerX

Well, the first thing I'd try is weed resin, just for the cool factor. Then there's pine resin/rosin like the baseball batters use.
Livin' The Life.

bass sic

Auto parts store will have 3M weather strip adhesive. I'm sure that will do the same.

Barnabas

Racer, I used to "cap" my bowl with a pick to snuff it, that would build up a good resin base and yes it did help and was very cool. But picks wear down fast and i just don't smoke as much any more. basssic- good idea about the 3M products, there just might be something out there that is low tack and doesn't dry up, I'll look into it, actually might have something in my toolbox now that I m thinking in that direction. I appreciate the replies \m/. any more?
I ain't shook.

Barnabas

yeah no shit and I googled the hell out of it before posting. could not find a website that had it available though a search will turn up tons of pages for it. waiting to hear back on availability from one that came up on the link you posted. it's a smaller site so maybe it is a mom and pop store and they still have some in stock, we will see. not needing the hair gel that most of the links are for.

EDIT: out of stock. Fuck you and your thing called google, smartass.
I ain't shook.

Lumpy

What about roughing up your pick with a rasp or a file, to make it less slippery. Surely somebody makes a pick with a non-slip texture.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Barnabas

i use tortex picks, they are fairly rough. they make a "gator grip" model which feels nice but the gd things are beveled edge and feel like they are missing something. it's not like I need the stuff or drop picks a lot, but it sure can help when playing extended fast-fast riffs, and you get to the point where the sweat is dripping like rain. Really about any pine pitch based resin will do it.
I ain't shook.

inductorguitars

LogicalFrank

Maybe try some keg lube:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/keg-lube.html

If I recall, it didn't slip and slide like astro-glide but left the surface of whatever it touched kinda tacky. I remember thinking it would probably work like Gorilla snot back when I still had time to homebrew.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Barnabas

Thanks Frank! Another thing that came to mind is slot car glue, the kind they use on the larger competition level tracks going into hairpin turns, there was always a "glue zone" where we would put this tacky rubbery glue that never quite dried. I will look into this keg lube stuff.
I ain't shook.