Main Menu

Weird SG

Started by MikeyT, June 01, 2011, 07:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

VOLVO)))

Dunno, looks sweet, ask him for pickguard-off pictures.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MikeyT

That's a good idea.

I've been buying cool cheap guitars, and I love 'em; but I'd like to have one good actual Gibson SG. It's got to have a slim taper neck, though.
 Been spending a lot of money, so I'll wait a good while- unless I see a killer deal. No hurry, but you've got to keep watching, right? Otherwise you'll miss out on your big chance.  ;D

Just came across that one & thought it was interesting/wondered what the deal was. It's not a Custom, so the 3 pups surprised me. Wondered when it was made, etc.
Don't want to bother the guy with questions, though, 'cause it's not what I'm looking for.

doomhawk

my buddy had a white one - got it like 3-4 years ago i think.

Ranbat

I think that was an exclusive for Sam Ash/Musicians Friend/American Musical Supply? I remember there being a V set up the same way. I was hoping for an Explorer version but never came across one.
Meh :/

dogfood

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/57373-rare-1985-ferrari-red-gibson-sg-special-400/

I have a Gibson SG special 400.  Them's Dirty Fingers in the bridge.  The pic is not me but that is the same guitar as mine.
Problem solving whiskey!

Jake

It's called an SG 3 and they're complete turds. I played on in the store a few years ago and two different strings popped out of the nut. I wasn't even really bending them with any real force whatsoever. Pure garbage.
poop.

Ranbat

^ Blasphemy! That sez Gibson on the headstock! We all know Gibson doesn't put out sub-par guitars! Seriously though, at the right price, a nut is no big deal. Wouldn't pay new price for one with strings popping outta the nut though.
Meh :/

blackkrosses

I've liked every SG 3 I've played, though the middle pickup does little for tone.

MikeyT

Quote from: blackkrosses on June 07, 2011, 08:29:59 PM
I've liked every SG 3 I've played, though the middle pickup does little for tone.

It's probably a pretty cool guitar.

Most black SG's are beautiful, but the starkness of that stone white pickguard against the body looked a little odd (as did the headstock, he said it was "mint"?, the headstock looked a little scratched).
  I'd probably put a red or white pearloid pickguard on it to dress it up a little.

Volume

I've tried one out at my local store. Wasn't particularly impressed not that it was horrible or anything didn't play it through an amp so can't comment on the sound. Looks better from a distance than up close due to the faded finish.

MikeyT

I'm not a fan of 'faded' finishes either. I guess that was what made that guitar look a little strange.