Main Menu

Heathkit amps

Started by Ranbat, September 17, 2011, 06:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

I spotted this today in one of the local Mom and Pop stores. Heath made a ton of kits for all kinds of electronics, but I thought this was interesting because a lot of us repair or build our own stuff. Not a good amp really, but would be cool to have anyway. Too bad it's priced too high for my interest in it. There's a cab in town at a pawn shop I keep thinking I'll snag eventually. Huge 4-12 cab that is about 4 and a half feet tall!

Heath TA-16
Meh :/

SpaceTrucker

Dude, you don't know what speakers are in it? Someone could have put a nice one in. Honestly there was one at a mom and pop store around here, same model. But I didn't check it out.

Ranbat

This one had Jensens. Which, I think they all came with. Not sure of which model though. The Tremolo didn't work well and there was no distortion/gain. The Tremolo effect wasn't working until after I had played it for about 3 minutes and it just suddenly came on. Weird. Probably a simple fix though.

SpaceTrucker

Might have needed to warm up. Do they use tubes for tremolo? or a old cap.

Ranbat

As far as I know, all solid state, so probably a cap? My Fender Pro Reverb has a similar problem. Most all my amps have been single channel tube amps w/no built in effects.

Hemisaurus

Really if you were in for a challenge? You have no idea with Heathkit who built it, did they know what they were doing, did it ever work, did they use the right parts?

How much was this handbuilt, solid-state beauty going for?

Ranbat

$349, which is more than my interest in it. Most of the Heathkit plans I've seen seem pretty easy to follow. And you're right, you have no idea who put it together and I've never done a search for Heath amp plans.