Main Menu

Headset Mic

Started by Discö Rice, September 20, 2011, 02:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Discö Rice

Yes, I know they're silly, but microphones on stands tend to die HORRIBLE, noisy deaths when placed anywhere within swinging range of my drumsticks, and I don't like having to turn my head or stay in one place while I'm racing around my kit. The point is, I'm a vocalizing drummer, not a drumming vocalist. My requirements are ergonomics first and foremost, minimal encumbrance, resistance to picking up my drums, and good clear sound with no feedback. I understand this will probably mean $$$.  Any advice?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Hemisaurus

Depends how expensive you want to go. They have like karaoke headset mics, which do the job OK, though you can see how long it will last. I should qualify that, Gzus had an expensive Shure headset mic, and it had this real fine cable running from the end of the stalk, result it's now fucked, and pretty impossible to repair.

Discö Rice

I was thinking higher end. Wired is fine, but $39 karaoke mics won't do at all.

Discö Rice

Hemisaurus

Err yeah, see above, expensive ain't always better, check for where the cables enter and exit the headset and how well reinforced they are.

Discö Rice

Looks fairly well reinforced and super lightweight.

Discö Rice

didn't see your edit at first, and I see your point, hemi. I like this, but crap that's expensive (for my budget)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Shure-PGX14-PG30-Headset-Wireless-System-278029-i1438690.gc

Hemisaurus

I'd start with one of the sub $50 ones and see how you like it first ;D

Discö Rice

The way I play I'm gonna have to start doing some serious cardio on the side to make this work.

Discö Rice

but you may be right about trying it out on the cheap first.

beardofcthulhu

You should also consider that that thing is on your mouth and ON all the time.  From start to finish, everyone is going to hear every breath, every belch, and so on and so forth.  My old band had a drummer who would get quite winded after songs, and he decided to strap one on to do backups...terrible idea.
Peace through volume.

Lumpy

You could put a gate on it, so that anything below a certain volume level gets cut off.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

db3jed

Hey Disco I too am a vocalizing drummer and the AKG C 520 is what I've been using the last 7 or 8 yrs. and before that I used the AKG C410 headset for well over a decade.

When my C410 quit I actually went back to my over-the-head boom stand rig that I used throughout the 80's and absolutely hated it so I ponied up the bucks for the C520 which has been an excellent mic.
I actually preferred the ergonomics of the 410 but I really like the sonics of the 520 better.

As to the extraneous noises that headsets can pick up, you have to develop good mic etiquette and move the mic out of the way between songs and when worn properly you can belch/cough out of the other side of your mouth and get away with it.
It's also quite easy to move it out of the way during a song if you really have to cough/vomit/yell at someone.
I don't like to gate my headset because it is actually supplying a sizable portion of my drum sound.
In fact in most situations I only add a kick mic and let it rip.
In bigger venues we'll mic the snare for additional punch.
It's only in rare situations like outdoor festivals that I mic the whole kit.

I may or may not look goofy wearing it but it's a hell of a lot more convenient to wear a headset than battle a boom stand.
I actually feel naked playing drums without a headset on after all these years.

I,Galactus

Quote from: beardofcthulhu on September 20, 2011, 08:34:39 PM
You should also consider that that thing is on your mouth and ON all the time.  From start to finish, everyone is going to hear every breath, every belch, and so on and so forth.  My old band had a drummer who would get quite winded after songs, and he decided to strap one on to do backups...terrible idea.

Easy fix.

"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Discö Rice

That's all really useful. Thanks, guys!