Main Menu

Ampeg PF500 bass head

Started by liquidsmoke, September 30, 2011, 04:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liquidsmoke

These are going for around $400 new, seems like a lot of amp for the money. 500 watts at 4 ohms class D solid state, light and compact.

Anyone here have one?

I think big heads look cooler but they tend to cost more.

http://www.ampeg.com/products/portaflex/pf-500/index.html

moose23

Sounds really good. They designed the preamp to work with the Class D power amp and still the the Ampeg tones you'd expect but something tells me you'd be better off with a Class D power amp of your choice and the VTBass or Oxford or Leeds or two or three of those lads. Sadly I never got to compare the VT to the PF.

grimniggzy

I've never really been impressed by the S.S. Ampegs I've tried.
And the VT Bass cops the tone damn well enough that I just use that into my Sunns when I need that sound.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: moose23 on September 30, 2011, 01:01:42 PM
Sounds really good. They designed the preamp to work with the Class D power amp and still the the Ampeg tones you'd expect but something tells me you'd be better off with a Class D power amp of your choice and the VTBass or Oxford or Leeds or two or three of those lads. Sadly I never got to compare the VT to the PF.

That sounds like it would be more expensive and more stuff to lug around.

I had a small Ampeg practice combo years back and I thought it sounded great

Did some reading on bass forums and some guys are ditching their tube SVT heads for these.

Lumpy

At a glance, it looks similar to the Orange Bass Terror (also Class D with tube preamps, 500 watts @ 4ohms).

But the Orange only weighs 8 pounds while the Ampeg weighs 11 (ouch, my back!!).

Actually, looks like the Ampeg is better protected from dings, while the Orange is just a metal box.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.