Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Foxen

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Instant Dan

Bone is great. On my LP and it rarely goes out of tune.

I have brass on my SG and it's alright.

justinhedrick

i have plastic nuts on all my guitars (they might be nylon?). they work well for me.

SpaceTrucker

bass sic

I used graphite for awhile, but truthfully I never can tell the difference.

VOLVO)))

Srs, brass, nickel, graphite all my favorites.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

clockwork green

I have several mammoth tusk nuts...can't really tell the difference from bone but they have a cool story sine they 30,000 years old.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

James1214

now if only there was a way to make a nut from baby seal.
words

liquidsmoke

I've had 2 graphite nuts wear down on me and I never played that much when this happened. Now I just use whatever is stock on whatever guitar I'm playing but you have to sometimes get used to the strings binding up a bit while tuning. That could also be cheap tuners not working properly though. I turn the peg, bend the string, repeat.

dogfood

I wonder about the corian nuts.  Anybody have a gibby with the corian nut?  durability?
Problem solving whiskey!

VOLVO)))

I put corian nuts on a bunch of shit. Simply because I can rob any color corian from Lowe's sample section.

It's pretty awesome, and polishes beautifully.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

James1214

I actually work with Corian almost everyday (I do countertop repair and Corian is a specialty) so if anyone wants a piece to try out and fuck with I can send some your way, work out a small trade or something. 

regarding polishing, at work i do heavy grinding/shaping with 40 grit paper then run a grit progression of 60-80-120-240-280-320 then I switch to micron paper which are 60-30-15 if you don't have access to micron papers (and I suspect most don't) you can go to 400-500-1000 to put shine on it, on darker colors I do my last 3 courses wet.
words

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: mortlock on October 08, 2011, 12:29:17 PM
human jaw bone..

Be rubbish, porous, not dense, need the weight bearing bones. Human jaw is weak.

Jake

poop.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

matador_sound

personally, I use a GraphTech BlackTUSQ XL nut on my Warmoth Jaguar bass. I use a drop-D tuner often, and it has really great tuning stability. I'm eventually going to get another one installed cause the one the neck came with was a little too low for my taste, but the material has been great. never goes out of tune, and sounds like a Steinway when I hit open strings.

mortlock

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on October 08, 2011, 03:18:38 PM
Quote from: mortlock on October 08, 2011, 12:29:17 PM
human jaw bone..

Be rubbish, porous, not dense, need the weight bearing bones. Human jaw is weak.
i guess it depends on what youre going for..