what makes an orange sound like an orange?

Started by justinhedrick, October 12, 2011, 01:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 18, 2011, 07:43:38 PM
I hate it when Peavey draw schematics like they are in real life, splitting it by the board :(

Look at the Classic 30 schematics, and compare it to the Classic 50, legibility please.

:-\

SpaceTrucker

Let me know how it works out with your vtm60. Might want to do this to mine.

I had a schematic for it too.... I think its gone though. way to fucking complicated.

bass sic

Hey Hemi and Sunno, and anybody else who builds amps, where did you guys aquire this skill? Did you have some kind of training or self taught by diggin around in amps? I see alot of terminology and experience being thrown around that makes me think formal training.

dunwichamps

Quote from: bass sic on October 19, 2011, 10:11:01 AM
Hey Hemi and Sunno, and anybody else who builds amps, where did you guys aquire this skill? Did you have some kind of training or self taught by diggin around in amps? I see alot of terminology and experience being thrown around that makes me think formal training.

So I have formal training (BS in EE and getting my PhD in EE) but before I got heavily into EE undergrad I was already learning how to build. I picked up a kit from AX84 and thats how i started

more info in this interview I gave

https://thesodashop.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/check-out-dunwich-amps/

Hemisaurus

Simultaneously, a bit of both. I was digging into peoples Hi-Fi's from an early age, I had a soldering iron before I turned 10, fixing peoples stuff up by the time I was 12-13. I guess it was on the cards  ;D

Passed my music exam in high school by repairing all the broken keyboards, headphones and wall warts in the dept. Left school, straight to work as an EE apprentice in military work, whilst doing my BSc in EEE and being a road-dog running sound, lights and fixing up backline after hours, worked weekends in a music store, sales and repairs, and DJ'ing a club at night.

Looking back, I wonder how I had all the energy ;D

I'm more of a repair and improvement guy than a builder, but if you mod enough amps, you have a basis for building because they all stem from the old datasheets.

As to technical terms, years of explaining things to musicians, means I do try and keep it in English with as few acronyms as possible, but I imagine I sometimes slip up. ::)

VOLVO)))

No shit? Herb and the internet have taught me everything I know about amps. I just started fiddling with pedals, then amps, fixing them and whatnot with decent success rates.

Luthiery is all self-taught. You fix a couple hundred guitars for friends, a few hundred more for paying customers, you get pretty proficient.

Books and friends, and the internet.

Ill go to school once Im proficient in the electronics field, that way I dont struggle.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Honestly man, school is overrated. I learned far more from working in repair shops with other techs, than I was ever taught in college. If you really want to learn get a job in a repair shop not necessarily amp repair, just electronics of anykind, though in this age of surface mount technology, and board level repair, rather than component level, it's becoming a dying art. Every guy I worked with in the shop I worked at over here had been trained in the military, I was the only guy with a college degree working as a tech. Every tech I worked with has taught me something.

If McNeece had still been your local guy, I'd have told you to beg the guy to let you work with him, for free even, just do the dogsbody work, changing input jacks or replacing pots, and you'll learn something.

bass sic

I think I may attempt One of those diy pedal builds, where they send ya everything in a bag and a schematic. I have some very limited soldering experience, so I shouldn't have too hard of a time. I just need to figure out which pedal to do.

dunwichamps

I have learned from school, my own research, and another fellow builder.

School has taught me a lot about fundamentals of devices but they usually do not do enough to get you to design circuits

My current research has nothing to do with circuits, its all nanoscale physics/single devices, memory.

dunwichamps

Quote from: bass sic on October 19, 2011, 03:39:46 PM
I think I may attempt One of those diy pedal builds, where they send ya everything in a bag and a schematic. I have some very limited soldering experience, so I shouldn't have too hard of a time. I just need to figure out which pedal to do.

yea BYOC or GGG, easy as pie. They provide all the info u need to build a pedal

moose23

Yeah either of those are a great start, started with a few muffs from GGG myself. I'd also recommend trying something easy like a super hard on perf or veroboard and then a fuzz face. The fuzz face is cool for experimenting with too so many different variations of the same circuit floating around the net (google image search is your friend!). If anyone wants to start a DIY pedal thread I'm sure there's loads of us who be able to help out with any questions.

This thread has me seriously considering a self built amp in my future.

dunwichamps

Quote from: moose23 on October 19, 2011, 04:03:33 PM
Yeah either of those are a great start, started with a few muffs from GGG myself. I'd also recommend trying something easy like a super hard on perf or veroboard and then a fuzz face. The fuzz face is cool for experimenting with too so many different variations of the same circuit floating around the net (google image search is your friend!). If anyone wants to start a DIY pedal thread I'm sure there's loads of us who be able to help out with any questions.

This thread has me seriously considering a self built amp in my future.

right on, the more the better