Anybody play electric cello or electric double bass?

Started by clockwork green, October 24, 2011, 02:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

I've always wanted to play the cello and I just love the lower tuned, bowed instruments.  The 5-string cellos seem cool and a good bridge between the lower and higher registers.  I worry about the learning curve.  I had a fretless bass for awhile but it had fretlines  and I worry that if the learning curve is too steep I might not put the time and effort into really getting it down. Even if I do, I'm not totally sure how much I'd actually use it. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Chovie D

I think they are rather expensive also.
Ive played a few non fretted stringed instruments over the years, standup basss, violin, steel guitars and it is challenging to maintain accurate intonation.  Maybe you could rent one for a while? Thats what we did when I was a kid, my parents would rent the instrument at first in case I flaked. even my first guitar was a rental.

VOLVO)))

Theres one set up at the airport here for all to play. I tune it everytime I go there. I usually play Sabbath and Om tunes. I found out I have a way better ear than I thought. It isnt too hard, promise.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

Quote from: SunnO))) on October 24, 2011, 11:42:54 AM
Theres one set up at the airport here for all to play. I tune it everytime I go there. I usually play Sabbath and Om tunes. I found out I have a way better ear than I thought. It isnt too hard, promise.

wtf, why does everyone else have the cool fun serendipity stuff?

somewhere there is a thread about what instruments you play or for how long or w/e. someone said they played cello and i was joking about kidnapping them and chaining them to my DAW in the basement. and racerx came up with the bassoon as being troo doom etc..<--that thread id's a person who does play cello, that's my belabored point to this whole post heh

what's that?  you're damned skippy i have rasputina in the CD changer. i love the ladies, and the ladies who have the music even more. i think i forgot my apocolyptica album at someone's house[broke my personal rule and paid for it yet again with another CD that needs replacing(fair chance of finding it used though)]

clockwork green

I've played around on acoustic double basses in stores quite a bit over the years and my pitch seems okay but you never know till you're playing with another person and that dissonance starts popping up.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Hemisaurus

Have you thought about constructing your own electric one, sort of like cigar-box on a bigger scale? There's a ton of guides out there, and you can probably do it without going broke like you might on a decent acoustic, or even semi-decent acoustic.

Adding a few random links

http://www.amazon.com/Vio-Music-Cello-Fingerboard-1-Full-size-Fingerboard/dp/B003XK2Q92
http://www.amazon.com/Vio-Music-Full-Cello-Bridge/dp/B004IQEWKG/ref=pd_sim_MI_1

this is currently making my kid bounce up and down in his walker, time to dig out the Satriani I guess :)

mortlock

ive thought about getting an electric upright myself..i played an acoustic upright for about 2 years..it was to much to handle logistically speaking..i had no way to transport it..
you must be careful not to get the electric uprights that dont have a curved fretboard..

i used to crank my upright through a zvek woollymammoth..nothing in the world like a bowed upright through a woollymammoth and an ampeg..

Hemisaurus

Gzus and I played at a place after their weekly bluegrass jam, we witnessed a full sized standup bass being fitted into a Lincoln saloon, most impressive ;D