Is there anything to do with a neck twist?

Started by Pissy, July 15, 2012, 02:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pissy

I horse traded some years ago for one of these, same color.  G&L El Toro, I figure from about 1985 or so.

I never really received it, as my buddy that gave it to me, had it in to a rookie luthier to see if there was anything he could do to get the neck straight.  It's got a twist in it.  The guy never did anything to it, and gave it back to my buddy, now I gotta go pick it up.  but I'm not sure what to do about the twisted neck.  Anything that can be done?
Vinyls.   deal.

RacerX

Is it a bolt-on? If so, I'd just replace it.
Livin' The Life.

Pissy

Three bolt neck.

I'd honestly rather not, as G&L necks I don't think of as being plentiful. Certainly not this model.

Now if it is indeed a lost cause, then I suppose I could.
Vinyls.   deal.

Mr. Foxen

How twisted? Sometimes clamping so wood on the headstock so you can get some torque and twisting it back will get you a spoing and it goes right again. Any other work to do will cost same as a new neck, since its pretty much a rebuild. There is jigs and soaking it in a bath and stuff too. Slacken the truss right off and see if you can pull it to shape with half the strings, all shit to try, unlikely to work, but might as well try.

VOLVO)))

It's realllllllllyyy hard to fix twists. Back bow that cant be corrected by truss rod? Easy. The opposite? Easy. Twists? A lot harder, a lot of times it'll just start breaking down the glue if you start dicking around with it...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

I would say that you would have to remove the neck build and jig end then probably soak or steam the back of the neck then let is sit for quite a while in the jig until it dries out again.  You might do other damage along the way but other than that it's pretty hard to get wood back to where it belongs with out soaking or steam.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Lumpy

What about taking it to a luthier who's not a rookie? ???
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Metal and Beer

Hard to fix in the basement, easy to fix with the proper tools (heat, pressure)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

RacerX

Quote from: Metal and Beer on July 15, 2012, 10:34:58 PM
Hard to fix in the basement, easy to fix with the proper tools (heat, pressure)

I guess the deciding factor is gonna be how much it costs to apply such heat/pressure properly vs. cost of a replacement neck (pretty sure you could put a P or J-bass neck on there if you can't find a G&L...
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Pissy

Picked it up.

Whooooeeee this thing is rough.

Original electronics are long gone, having been replaced with EMG jazz active pickups. Lots of ugliness there. Jazz bass pickup rings ?  Do they exist?  Truss rod nut's hex is stripped out from people wrenching on the neck.

The twist aint that bad, but I gotta get the bow out first, which means getting a new truss rod nut. I've ordered it.

So many projects lately.
Vinyls.   deal.

RacerX

Good luck with that ugly duckling, dude.
Livin' The Life.

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus