mixing from recording question

Started by franksnbeans, November 21, 2011, 02:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franksnbeans

Quote from: BrianDamage on November 22, 2011, 05:14:32 AM
Panning means whether you hear a track more out of the left or right speaker. For instance when I record rhythm guitars I usually do two tracks. Both with very different tones and then when mixing I pan one (typically) 65% left and one 65% right. It seperates the sounds allowing both to be heard easier but also gives the aural illusion of one HUGE guitar tone.

All mixing is really for is to make sure you hear each track as much as needed to make it sound clear. Not really that hard if you have good tracks to work with. The real skill is in individual track processing (eq, effects and so on) and mastering.

If you have access to them send me the individual raw tracks and I will mix and master them for you free.

Thanks for the offer Brian, but I don't have the raw tracks. I think we're gonna go to a local dude who does all the metal and punk stuff in the area.  He knows the genre very good and said he'll do the mixing all in one day. 

clockwork green

Just take it to Sal from Asunder. Let him know if you want any crazy tricks or if you want it straight forward. He's also got a friend that can master it really nicely for not much money or time.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

BrianDamage

Quote from: franksnbeans on November 25, 2011, 12:40:45 PM
Quote from: BrianDamage on November 22, 2011, 05:14:32 AM
Panning means whether you hear a track more out of the left or right speaker. For instance when I record rhythm guitars I usually do two tracks. Both with very different tones and then when mixing I pan one (typically) 65% left and one 65% right. It seperates the sounds allowing both to be heard easier but also gives the aural illusion of one HUGE guitar tone.

All mixing is really for is to make sure you hear each track as much as needed to make it sound clear. Not really that hard if you have good tracks to work with. The real skill is in individual track processing (eq, effects and so on) and mastering.

If you have access to them send me the individual raw tracks and I will mix and master them for you free.

Thanks for the offer Brian, but I don't have the raw tracks. I think we're gonna go to a local dude who does all the metal and punk stuff in the area.  He knows the genre very good and said he'll do the mixing all in one day.  

Groovy
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

franksnbeans

Quote from: clockwork green on November 25, 2011, 02:01:15 PM
Just take it to Sal from Asunder. Let him know if you want any crazy tricks or if you want it straight forward. He's also got a friend that can master it really nicely for not much money or time.

We were thinking of Greg from Brainoil to mix it.

inductorguitars

Pick a song, post the tracks on soundcloud or some other site, Link site - I'm sure there are a few mixers here who could take a crack at it to "show you how's it done"

Easy to mix - easier to fuck up.

BaseApe

Quote from: inductorguitars on November 28, 2011, 07:08:37 PM
Pick a song, post the tracks on soundcloud or some other site, Link site - I'm sure there are a few mixers here who could take a crack at it to "show you how's it done"

Easy to mix - easier to fuck up.

+1 on this.

what would be even cooler would be a mix-off where everybody gets only 10 minutes.  for my money, if you can't come up with a good sounding, basic mix in that time, there's probably something missing from the recording.

inductorguitars

Quote from: BaseApe on December 01, 2011, 10:44:18 PM
+1 on this.

what would be even cooler would be a mix-off where everybody gets only 10 minutes.  for my money, if you can't come up with a good sounding, basic mix in that time, there's probably something missing from the recording.

Yea 10 mins basic mix - 5 hours tweaking. j/k

I'd be down for a mix off.