cheap 12 inch speaker with good low end?

Started by justinhedrick, December 22, 2011, 10:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

i need a speaker to replace a blown 12 inch Randall Jaguar speaker (supposedly an eminence) in a randall 2x12 cab (a fuzzy one). any suggestions?

i'll be pairing it with my randall 2x15 (also fuzzy).

clockwork green

And you don't to consider reconing the speaker?
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

justinhedrick

Quote from: clockwork green on December 22, 2011, 10:55:07 AM
And you don't to consider reconing the speaker?

i honestly don't know where i'd get it re-coned at. i don't think that there is any place locally that does it.

plus, it looks like a recone kit is just as much as a new speaker.

grimniggzy

Sunn posted these a while ago. Supposed to be good for guitar or bass & the price is right.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=PS12-8

justinhedrick

Quote from: grimniggzy on December 22, 2011, 12:45:32 PM
Sunn posted these a while ago. Supposed to be good for guitar or bass & the price is right.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=PS12-8

hmm, that is a good idea. i also might just try to find a raw 12" jaguar on ebay. that might be difficult though.

Hemisaurus

If it's an Eminence there will be a part number on it, and Eminence are really good about giving you information on it. That way you can get a new speaker closest to the one you are replacing, and they'll tell you if they have a recone kit for it.

That big repair place / music place downtown (Urban Outfitters?) you must know the place, probably do recones, they used to anyways.

Fling a generic heavy duty in there, if you're fuzzing it, it'll cope with the bass better.

Hemisaurus

What power is the speaker or the cab? I have a few 12"s here if you want to try bass / PA drivers.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on December 22, 2011, 01:52:00 PM
If it's an Eminence there will be a part number on it, and Eminence are really good about giving you information on it. That way you can get a new speaker closest to the one you are replacing, and they'll tell you if they have a recone kit for it.

That big repair place / music place downtown (Urban Outfitters?) you must know the place, probably do recones, they used to anyways.

Fling a generic heavy duty in there, if you're fuzzing it, it'll cope with the bass better.

analog outfitters. they do still do recones. a buddy of mine owns it and my best friend works there!

the thing is that it seems that a new speaker will be about the same price as a recone. the cab is rated right now at 150 watts, so that makes it 75 watts a speaker.

oh, and i said that they were "fuzzy" because they literally are. they are covered in that awesome carpet covering that randall used in the 80s!  ;D

Hemisaurus

Well like I said, I've got bass / PA 12" speakers, I think a 50W a 150W and a 400W if you want to try them out, or trade me out whatever.

Yeah recones are a bummer, you used to be able to get generic voice coils (y'know size 1", 2", 2.5" and the like of various wattages) and cones and surrounds cheap, and then the bottom seemed to fall out of that market. There was one place I knew that did them, Mat's Electronics I think, but I don't think even they do 'em anymore.