Main Menu

Tusq nut for SG?

Started by Instant Dan, December 21, 2011, 06:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

I have a brass nut on my SG it works good but strong bends will still send my guitar out of tune. I played an SG standard with a Tusq XL nut on it and did the same type of bend that would make my SG out of tune but it didn't. Would it be the nut that is helping it keep it tune and therefore, could be my savior for my SG or is it probably just the combo of the right SG along with a properly cut nut?

blackkrosses

If I think I'm gathering your question right, yes the nut can have an affect on tuning. And sustain for that matter, and many other things. I've never had a brass nut but a temporary solution many be to graphite that nut...? Even if its just running a pencil in the grooves a few times. Slick it up. I would recommend getting something else though. Bone or the tusq. Having one cut can be expensive though.

Instant Dan

Yeah I was trying to say that would a tusq nut help my tuning problems? I have heard it is best though to do a blank nut and have a luthier do it vs getting a pre-cut one.

Hemisaurus

As well as lubing it, you should clean it as well, if it's dull looking, you should buff it with some metal wad or Brasso, anything that makes it slicker. You might also want to find out what kind of strings were used on the other guitar you tried. Basically, could be the nut, could be the strings, could be the saddles, or the tuners. I'd try the cleaning and the pencil lead trick, and see if a slick nut solves your problem. If it doesn't could be the problem isn't your nut.

SpaceTrucker

My vote is for the strings are put on wrong, or the tuners need tightening. I don't see how the nut material could effect the tuning in a very noticable way, unless you gots a zero fret, but I doubt that.(although I would love a zero fret SG, with a longer scale mmmm faptastic)

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.