Replacement Speaker : Ampeg SVT-410HLF

Started by tombhex, April 16, 2012, 09:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tombhex

Hey guys. I've got an old Ampeg bass cab (SVT-410HLF, one of the last years they were American made!) that I'm trying to replace a blown speaker in so that I can sell it to a friend in need.

I pulled the offender out of the cab to look into it hoping I'd get a model number or something to reference for something cheap and comparable, but no luck. All I've got to work with is 10", 4ohms, 150rms/300peak.

I don't know anything about speakers and I can't afford to drop 125+ship on an OEM just to sell it off for peanuts to my buddy, so I'm hoping someone can recommend me some alternatives. The cab is in shit shape (I almost stripped all the [remaining] tolex off it the day he texted me and asked me if he could buy it) but sounds okay, and he just needs something to rehearse with, so I'm trying to at least make a small amount of coin off the cab after replacement and he's not too concerned with the replacement matching.

Please help!

grimniggzy

edit: actually i don't even know
sorry i'm no help

Hemisaurus

Sure there's not a weird Eminence part number on it, I'm trying to remember what they'd look like?

Any other numbers, like stamped in black ink or something?

Are you just looking to put a speaker in it, to sell it off? Just grab a $20 Goldwood 4 ohm from partsexpress.com http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-320 it's close enough in power handling, that combined with the 3 other drivers, it's still gonna handle > 400W RMS > 800W peak

Or even just grab a woofer from your local car stereo emporium or Walmart, here's one 300W RMS 600W peak, $19 with free shipping, it'll move the air, it'll make the bass. http://www.dascheap.com/electronics/boss-audio-cx10-chaos-series-voice-coil-subwoofer-10. for 4 ohm, it's probably easier to find some car subs.

tombhex

Hemi, I'll probably check out that Goldwood speaker. I don't want to put a car audio speaker in it, it IS my friend buying the cab!

Hemisaurus

swings and roundabouts, the GW will be a more efficient driver, ie. louder per watt BUT it only handles 110W allegedley (I overdrive my GW's a lot, but I now have two blown), which brings the RMS handling of the cab down to 4x110W RMS (when all drivers are the same impedance the power handling is 4 times the lowest speaker). The car sub handles more power, but will require more power to get loud.

don't pooh-pooh car subs out of hand, they are designed to take a lot of punishment, and as they are made for big boxes, they fit in quite well with deep ported cabs like the HLF.  ;) If I was gonna make a big cheap box of 10"s that handles mucho watts (like my 3200W Crown amp), I'd probably grab some car subs.

tombhex

see, THIS is why i missed this forum!

thanks for the advice!

Hemisaurus

That said, in this instance, I'd go with the Goldwood too. ;)

Mr. Foxen

If it is an Eminence OEM, best bet is to ask eminence what is closest, armed with all the numbers you can, off the cone and cab. It will be fairly close to something in their current line, and find that is going to be best bet. They tend to be pretty helpful, an anything else is going to be a pretty severe compromise. The watts is about the least important thing to match up in a cab.

Hemisaurus

...and Eminence will say the nearest they have, in 4 ohm, is the Legend, at $85 http://usspeaker.com/legend%20bp102-1.htm, however given the cab is a beater, and a superflat frequency response is not an essential here, whereas pricepoint is. In a rehersal situation, no-one is going to notice a dip that may or may not happen ;)