I need help with a soft screw

Started by Discö Rice, April 05, 2012, 02:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloodofkings

Those don't look to bad at all. Have you tried a screwdriver with a larger head? Sometimes people only have one size around. Maybe a #2 or #3 size? A little oil and the larger screwdriver might do it. Then if that doesn't work, dremel tool and a big flat head might do it.
I can't crap for shit.

Discö Rice

I've tried a 2 and a 3, BoK. I absolutely do not want to use the same screws. It's just those two extra grimy looking bastards. Shouldn't be difficult to find replacements. Lumpy - cool, man. I'd like to give those vice grips a try. If you're heading to the space anytime between now and Tuesday, bring 'em by. Couldn't hoyt. I like the wire cutter idea, too. I have a feeling I'm going to end up doing that very thing before this is finished.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

chlorpromazine

metal dave and the EZ-out FTW
that PB Blaster is good stuff to keep around, too

two things that you'll seldom use, but you'll be glad to have them when they're called for

RAGER

I go through a can of PB Blaster every few months.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

if you work on cars and other rusty steel type equipment, you would never be without pb blaster. that shit is for real.

heh, i WISH i had screws in that nice of shape to remove.

ok, here is a tip from a metallurgist at a nut-n-bolt mfr(well he was my neighbor and he helped when i was having trouble taking apart my car)

after pb blaster sits for a bit. get vertical with your good quality #2 phillips and tighten the screws. yes you read correctly. they are tensioned from tightening, to break them, you can tighten them more. all you need to hear is that tick. then you go back the other way.

those arent corroded at all, a quick couple taps with a hammer on the screwdriver may also break them loose. thaat good old clear/blue handled craftsman #2 phillips screwdriver is a good one too, without getting into hi end shit like snap-on or w/e

when you go to turn the screw, put your weight into the screwdriver. stop if you get the slightest mushing of the metal

another general trick is to heat the metal plate with the screws in it, then when the whole deal is roasty, give a shot of chiller right on the screw and then go for it with the screwdriver. the screw shrinks.

or..if you know a competent motorhead, ask him to help.

Discö Rice

Hemisaurus

Surely by now you'll be walking funny.

Metal and Beer

Those don't even look "rounded" bro, did you try the next sized larger Phillips?

• Lube (twss)
• Try next sized larger Phillips (I can't determine the screw size, just go next up)
• Smack the screwdriver one hard strike while penis is in puss Phillips is in screw, then downward pressure as you turn

Backup Plan, requires Dremel or hacksaw but would work perfectly judging by pic:

• Lewb
• Cut a fuckin' slot across the head (twss)
• Use a large flathead screwdriver and staaaaaa screwin'  (hamina hamina hamina)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Discö Rice

Quote• Lewb
• Cut a fuckin' slot across the head (twss)
• Use a large flathead screwdriver and staaaaaa screwin'  (hamina hamina hamina)

That was an early thought I had, but the screws are recessed  in a way that would make using a hacksaw impossible. A thin cutoff wheel and a mandrel to attach to a power drill might just do it.

RacerX

Have you tried explosives?

1) Use gaffer's tape to secure a blockbuster to the pedal.

2) Smoke most of a cigarette, use the remainder to attach a cigarette fuse to the blockbuster's fuse.

3) Put a large metal bucket over the whole deal.

4) Stand on top.

5) Wait for it...
Livin' The Life.

Metal and Beer

I was under the impression it was the two inner screws in the pic ? A hacksaw blade would be tough to navigate in/on there but a Dremel would work. An impact driver and large(r) Phillips bit would work, too.

VOLVO)))

Just take the fucker apart! I just took my iron cobra down completely for a good oiling and general cleaning. Shit's easy. #2 or #3 phillips will get those fuckers outta there...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

I have used penetrating oil and every method that didn't require a tool I had to buy to get them out. It looks easy, but I swear to god those fucking things are made of caramel. Making the slots wide enough for a big flathead is next.

Metal and Beer

Quote from: Discö Rice on April 14, 2012, 07:40:21 PM
Making the slots wide enough for a big flathead is next.

The benefit of a relatively wide slot and bigass flathead is leverage...fuck them screws !   :D

Discö Rice

Haha nevermind! Success, bitches!! After soaking the shit out of it with penetrating oil I finally just got pissed, grabbed a hammer and a no.3 screwdriver and hammered the holy fuck out of it, put all my weight on it and twisted with that "i'm gonna flip over a car Hulk style" strength you reserve for opening jars in front of ladies, and voila!

Thanks for the great advice, all!

neighbor664

Discö Rice

Dude - that just saved me about $400. I'm elated.

jibberish

awesome. tell me that isnt a hell of feeling knowing it was important not to fuck up and you won.

that whole feel of you vs the metal IS a trip, since you know failure=major heartache. it gets to be quite the game on many levels. 

not all that fun either, but ijs, you vs the screw heh crazy.