Main Menu

Recomend me a Distortion pedal

Started by spookstrickland, March 18, 2016, 07:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

Ireally like Tubescreamers, I stack two of them but Im looking for something more mushy and squishy tube recto sag kind of effect without going into fuzz or modern high gain territory.

What do you recomend?
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Mr. Foxen

Tech21 character series to taste, presumably the Mesa styley one. They are such good pedals, the mid boost available should do the bit of tubescreamer you probably like.

Submarine

Wampler Pinnacle is fun one.  Supposedly was concocted to get the classic EVH brown sound.  I sure as hell don't sound like Eddie but I like the tone.

mortlock

whats the advantage of using more than one distortion. 

spookstrickland

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 18, 2016, 10:09:09 PM
Tech21 character series to taste, presumably the Mesa styley one. They are such good pedals, the mid boost available should do the bit of tubescreamer you probably like.

Ill check that one out thanks.

Quote from: Submarine on March 18, 2016, 10:28:41 PM
Wampler Pinnacle is fun one.  Supposedly was concocted to get the classic EVH brown sound.  I sure as hell don't sound like Eddie but I like the tone.

Ya that squishy brown sound is kind of what Im after.

quote author=mortlock link=topic=12871.msg481110#msg481110 date=1458355947]
whats the advantage of using more than one distortion. 
[/quote]

Ive found two tubescreamers set with the gain at noon sound better than one maxed out, more organic and harmonically rich.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

giantchris

Old Boss HM2 and Wampler Slostortion I like to use on guitar...Actually for some of my stuff I use a T21 character series orange set to a low gain setting it sounds like Hendrix's Hey Joe tone and then use the Slostortion as the distortion it sounds badass.  On bass Boss HM2 or T21 Bass XXL or Way Huge Swollen Pickle Mk II  or BAT Pharoah.  Or maybe an earthbound audio supercollider.

bitter

Doesn't keeley do the triple saturation mods on the TS? Maybe you could mod one of your own?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Lumpy

Joyo makes cheap knockoffs of the Tech 21 pedals. I'm not sure which is the Mesa one (California?) but they are less than $50, more like $30 if you buy used.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

spookstrickland

Quote from: bitter on March 19, 2016, 01:21:05 AM
Doesn't keeley do the triple saturation mods on the TS? Maybe you could mod one of your own?

Im not familiar with that mod, any links too it?
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

bitter

There are tons of mods and variants out there. I never really bothered with it personally though... Stuff like this I guess:

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

spookstrickland

Quote from: bitter on March 19, 2016, 03:21:06 AM
There are tons of mods and variants out there. I never really bothered with it personally though... Stuff like this I guess:

Thankes I think its called the "Baked" mod, sounds good but not mushy enough....Im thinking like Neil Young mushy.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

mortlock

if I wanted to run a swollen pickle fuzz and an American metal dod together on my bass is there anything I should know. im kind of interested in this all of the sudden. I was thinking of having both hooked up to switch between them for different sounds, and then run at the same time for some over the top shit. 

jibberish

Quote from: mortlock on March 19, 2016, 02:36:11 PM
if I wanted to run a swollen pickle fuzz and an American metal dod together on my bass is there anything I should know. im kind of interested in this all of the sudden. I was thinking of having both hooked up to switch between them for different sounds, and then run at the same time for some over the top shit. 
this perspective of something similar I was doing might be useful....

I was horsing around running the boss HM-2 thru the super pharaoh, then vice-versa. I noticed that the second effect really is the one that dominates the final sound.
I also discovered something along the lines of what spook did: start with both at minimal settings with circuits engaged.  the double whammy right there with everything turned down may even be too mangled to be useful, especially if #2 is too harsh to start with.

ultimately, I found that the HM-2 first as more of a tone shaper and slight fuzz addition, THEN go to the more detailed pharaoh, keep the tones up and dial in the 2 drives. I also turned off clipping. it goes from cool to shit really quickly or just all pharaoh.

I am also not really sure that the combo sounds better than a dialed in setting of either alone.
I get more mileage out of 1 pedal and the amp gain for the combination type fuzziness so far it seems.
Also, when other reverby type effects are added, the whole thing gets crappy and even the noise piles up 2x thru 2x distortion circuits.

Final answer: The pedals I have are no good for doubling up distortions in the overall big picture of what I want and of minimal use when doubled up alone in the chain.

also, just horse around.  good chance you will answer your own questions along the way.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 18, 2016, 10:09:09 PM

I checked out the character series, a few come pretty close to what I want.  The Brit was nice. 

Quote from: giantchris on March 19, 2016, 01:14:34 AM
Old Boss HM2 and Wampler Slostortion I like to use on guitar...Actually for some of my stuff I use a T21 character series orange set to a low gain setting it sounds like Hendrix's Hey Joe tone and then use the Slostortion as the distortion it sounds badass.  On bass Boss HM2 or T21 Bass XXL or Way Huge Swollen Pickle Mk II  or BAT Pharoah.  Or maybe an earthbound audio supercollider.

I looked at the Black arts toneworks pedals, the one that sounded most like I want was the Black Forest which is a updated version of the Colorsound Overdriver...the colorsound sounds reslly good to...I might Clone it.

Thanks guys
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Danny G

I think this sounds like a great excuse to go to the music store with the best pedal selection in your geographical area, try EVERYTHING, and report back your findings m/,

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

spookstrickland

Quote from: Danny G on March 20, 2016, 12:58:52 PM
I think this sounds like a great excuse to go to the music store with the best pedal selection in your geographical area, try EVERYTHING, and report back your findings m/,

Thats my favorite thing to do!

I found a couple good Colorsound Overdriver PCBs so Im going to build one up in the near future.  One funny thing I found out David Gilmour used one on Dark Side Of The Moon.  It funny because all though Ive nevet bern a Floyd Fan(I like and highly respect David's playing) but I keep licking the same gear he played with out knowing until later IE Fuzz Face, Muff, Dynacomp, Strats, and now the Overdriver.  Maybe it means I have good taste after all!
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

zachoff

Not sure how it works on the guitar, but the Joyo Ultimate Drive is absolutely killer for bass and it's only $35.

For a mellow-ish guitar OD pedal, the Vox V810 is pretty cool.  I don't use mine much anymore, but I still keep it because it's a cool pedal and puts out a great vintage OD tone.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/misc/810830.html

spookstrickland

Quote from: zachoff on March 21, 2016, 09:44:10 PM
Not sure how it works on the guitar, but the Joyo Ultimate Drive is absolutely killer for bass and it's only $35.

For a mellow-ish guitar OD pedal, the Vox V810 is pretty cool.  I don't use mine much anymore, but I still keep it because it's a cool pedal and puts out a great vintage OD tone.

http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/misc/810830.html

Thanks Ill check those out.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

showdown

Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V.1, you can get it extremely cheap and it sounds awesome. It's basically an OCD clone, there are a few YT videos that compare them so check them out. I use mine to boost a Pharaoh.

Danny G

Be sure to truly trust your ears rather than what would be cool to have on your board.

After a few years of building or tweaking various distortion and phaser circuits I finally settled on DIY Keeley-modded Blues Driver (sounded most like my JCM800 by itself dimed than anything I built) and store-bought Phase 90 (kicked the shit out of every clone I attempted).

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com