would hammond ao-34 make a good conversion into a 50w/orange rockerverb?

Started by jibberish, April 30, 2012, 09:11:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jibberish

or maybe the rocker without the verb part...

this is that mile long amp from a hammond (m-5 in my case)
i see they both use el34 tubes for the 50watts, so i may have the output xformer and the main amp tubes all set already. 
probably have to add a bunch of tube sockets for the crazy orange preamp, but that is ok.

Is this a feasible idea? or is there a real deal breaker here?

also, as a side note, it seems to me, using a 12ax7 for the outputs on a micro-watt amp is stupid (my study of the ant).
the impedance difference between the tube and the speaker is retarded. thus requiring a retarded output transformer..

if i build a micro-watt amp,l it will have a small, but proper lower impedance driver tube (one was mentioned in myy prior threads regarding that ant amp, including the split ax/au(or something with half a pre and half a driver in it) tube that i think hemi mentioned

i am kicking around what to do with the 18watt amp still.....lol goodsell clone , no srsly IDK yet.  still pondering the possibilities

Hemisaurus

The older Orange preamp is a one tube affair, and is relatively easy to clone. The Rockerverb looks to be 6 tubes, 5 if you skip the verb, with channel switching etc. Building a Graphic would be easier, or an Electric, or Matamp.

dunwichamps

you wont get the entire orange sound without the cathodyne + driver IMO, so a 2 tube affair. This does raise the problem that in your push pull amp you get both sides of the phase inverter being used in the push pull amp so theres not easy way of getting that here without having say a differential pair to sum the signal back together.

You can do a self split ECC99 output section and use a hammond flea amp OT for that setup with a 22k primary

Direct coupling a tube to a speaker can be done, You need to make it a AC cathode follower. The only problem that comes in is that you need to really bias the tube hard to lower the output impedance to get power going into the speaker and you need a large coupling cap that can get a decent low end response. Your better off just using a small OT

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on April 30, 2012, 09:54:12 AM
This does raise the problem that in your push pull amp you get both sides of the phase inverter being used in the push pull amp so theres not easy way of getting that here without having say a differential pair to sum the signal back together.
What did I miss ???

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 30, 2012, 10:20:27 AM
Quote from: dunwichamps on April 30, 2012, 09:54:12 AM
This does raise the problem that in your push pull amp you get both sides of the phase inverter being used in the push pull amp so theres not easy way of getting that here without having say a differential pair to sum the signal back together.
What did I miss ???

well in a normal OR amp, the outputs from the cathode and the anode look much different under heavy overload

So your amp will use both the outputs from the cathode and anode while say you just used one it wouldnt be the same going into another power amp. Also underscores why your not going to get the same sound by just using the first 2 gain stages from the preamp into another style of phase inverter and power amp

Hemisaurus

Ah so you're saying he should also look at the other end of the schematic, and redo the power section. Sorry I was just using the preamp stages as an example of the difference in # of tubes, not saying here is your blueprint ;D

See this other thread http://riffrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=237.msg151650#msg151650 for fuller schematics, and a range of choices.

If the AO-34 is like the AO-35 it looks like you already have 5 tube sockets, two 9 pin's for the preamp and phase splitter, two 8 pins for the power tubes, and one for the tube rectifier. Which if you switch to solid state rectification, you can use the extra hole if needed for another 12AX7 depending on what design you go with.

dunwichamps

sorry bro i guess i am overlooking shit nowadays.

Our powers can combine to form the mega-orange-matamp-zord so all good