Main Menu

Bass Bridges

Started by bloodofkings, May 23, 2012, 10:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloodofkings

Ok, I was on the hunt for a Badass III to replace the stock bridge on a P Bass. Seems that bridge doesn't exist anymore. I don't even see it listed on the Leo Quan site anymore. Which makes me think it has been discontinued. I never actually noticed until recently what a difference a bridge could make. Last few Fenders I owned, I bought used. They all had a bridge that wasn't stock, a Badass bridge typically was already installed when I acquired them. I picked up another MIA P Bass on the cheap recently. I slapped some Dimarzio pickups I found kicking around in my box of crap and ready to go. I've used it for 5 or 6 rehearsals and two shows. I notice a huge difference in sound between this and my other bass. Both basses have the same pickups but different fretboards, one is maple one is rosewood, one has the stock bridge and the other a Badass III. The bass with the stock bridge the A string just disappears and my low E is really boomy in comparison to the A string. It doesn't sustain quite as long and the tone seems quite different. It's a little brighter than the bass with the Badass. I was wondering if someone could suggest a bridge or anything else that might help?
I can't crap for shit.

Hemisaurus

Are you caring if it has the same screw holes as the origunal Fender? A bunch of places do high mass bridges, just pick one, GuitarFetish for example, or Choppers.

https://guitarfetish.3dcartstores.com/mobile/home.asp?%23home#page-25

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-BASS-BRIDGE-UPGRADE-FITS-FENDER-JAZZ-P-BASS-/300690842533?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item46029223a5

bloodofkings

Yeah, I would like something direct replacement. It's the Fender 3 hole pattern string through the body. If I have to I'll drill and install a new bridge I will but I'd like to avoid doing that.
I can't crap for shit.

Hemisaurus

Hmm, Schaller or Badass, both gonna run $70-120, vs. $20-35. Can't think of any other big bridges that will go with only 3 holes.

bloodofkings

Now that stings a little less than a Schaller or a Badass III.
I can't crap for shit.

mortlock

i put a bad ass ll on my fender j pretty much within a month of buying it..that was back in 1992 and its still there. thats what you want..get a bad ass.

Lumpy

If your issue is unbalanced output across strings, adjust the height of the pole -pieces in your pickups. Either by angling the entire pickup, or adjusting individual polepieces.

I don't see how the bridge is relevant here? If some strings sound good, and you installed the pickups yourself, that makes me wonder if you need to adjust your pickups.

On TalkBass guys argue about the Badass bridges, with some guys claiming it doesn't make any difference. I used to have a bass with one (stolen) I have no idea if it helped anything, because it came that way. Fender makes a vintage style bridge (bent L) and a modern bridge. If you have the vintage bridge, you could try a modern fender bridge and it might be an easy straight swap. But plenty of guys like the vintage bridge, too.

I'm guessing there is something wrong with your setup, and not that the bridge is unworthy.

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

If its through strung anyway, a Badass won't make massive difference, it might if you back string though. The down force on the saddles is going to lock them in place tight enough the whole body acts as a bridge with through string.

Ayek

How does the bass sound unplugged, o bloodofkings? That'd be a place to start, methinks.

fuzzfarmer

you might check to see if the overly bright bass has 500K pots in it. 

bloodofkings

I've installed enough pickups to know how to adjust them, I've made all the bonehead mistakes already. Haha. Every passive bass I've owned that had a P Bass pickup I have installed a set of Dimarzio Model Ps. They have adjustable poles. First thing I did was adjust the pickups to help it and it did help it a bit. Both basses have the same pickups. I'm not necessarily looking for a Badass III, just an alternative. The Hipshot or the higher mass Fender bridge might do the trick. The difference is subtle but, enough for me to notice. I know I may sound like I am nit picking and I am nit picking. It's all silly. I never actually noticed a difference until I had two similar basses side by side. I'm even toying with the idea of milling my own bridge.
I can't crap for shit.

mutantcolors

After talk of the fuzz casing, I suspect you have all the equipment handy. If so...duh. Shit would be ballin' outta control. Make it out of like, solid tungsten just because.

Danny G

Fret board wood makes for different tone as well.

My maple-fretboard P-Bass is a little crisper and punchier, while my rosewood P-Bass is a little rounder and warmer.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Ayek

Ask the guy at buzzardsbass.com when to expect the BadAss III bridge back in stock

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bloodofkings

Yeah I saw that thread. Hahaha.

Oh absolutely Danny, I've heard that difference between the fretboard woods. The bass with the stock bridge has a rosewood fretboard and that's the brighter one. I'm thinking of getting the largest chunk of brass I can get my hands on. I think tonight I'm going to pull the bridge off my bass and take the measuring tools to it. The design of the bridge base is great imho. I might even get fancy with the mount instead of sinking wood screws into the wood, mount some threaded inserts and use socket head cap screws to mount the bridge to the body. The only real issue I think I'm going to have is machining the saddles. Little things are tougher to machine with the equipment I have. I'd be making plates and tools just to hold it and and then slice it and wish on a star that I can possibly make it and not fucking botch it.

(Edited for drunk typing.)
I can't crap for shit.

mutantcolors

I just learned about a Tone Block that they use in Yamaha SGB and Ibanez Prestige SX guitars. Might be worth investigating, might not work at all.