Main Menu

Ampeg V-4 for Fender PA 135

Started by hisheroisjon, June 27, 2012, 05:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hisheroisjon

A buddy of mine wants me to trade him my 135 for his v-4, i know the general consensus is that the v-4 is probably worth more, but i probably have at least 250 dollars worth of repair/mod work done on it. It's tempting but I haven't had much experience with the ampeg, I'm assuming its going to break up faster than the fender though, since the 135 has ultralinear transformers. What do you dudes think?

Lumpy

You're not happy with the Fender? Or just bored?

Hey can you jumper the channels on that? Does that get you anywhere?

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

Get the V4. Send me your Earth head.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bbottom

Trade him.

The guitar player in my one band plays that Fender head and I play a V4 (with bass). We've run his guitar through the V4 countless times and it kills the Fender hands down.
I've also run my bass through the Fender and again, the Ampeg sounds much much better.

Why does he want to trade?

hisheroisjon

The fender is getting out of the shop this saturday, I'm having the tone stack on ch3 modded to twin specs, and a mid knob added. The first two channels had the input gain bumped up 20% on 1 and 40% on ch2, and while they sound good, the tone controls aren't very versatile. I guess he wants to trade cause he really wants a super twin or super six reverb. I'm having some reservations though because I don't know the condition of the head, it looks clean, but I know it's toured and I don't know when the last time it was maintenenced. I guess I'll just have to see if I'm happier with my amp when I get it back and go from there. The pa heads sound pretty mediocre stock but are great modding platforms.

hisheroisjon

I just took the earth into the shop too, I may be interested in trading or selling it later on, no promises though, it's too fucking cool.

grimniggzy

hisheroisjon

This kid is selling me his v-4 on thursday for 400$, so I'm going to have both and I do believe that I win.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.