Main Menu

B Standard on A Floyd Rose

Started by Hollowedtree, July 14, 2012, 09:31:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hollowedtree

Question. I have a Korean Ibanez RG270dx from 2000 I've shopped up. I have it all set up sweet and use a tremolo lock. Works great, except on the "g" string I have a problem getting the string to fit through the bridge nicely. I've been trying to figure out what kind of Floyd it is. It doesn't look like the one in the pictures. I've been told its an Edge, but I'm not sure. Its got these stems with a cup at the end the string goes through so you don't have to cut the ball off. I'm using Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky" strings (12-16-24-32-44-56) . Where the G (24) string wraps around itself to hold on the ball, there is lots of resistance getting it through the stem. It only slides through once I tune it up to tension. All the other strings work fine. I'm hoping I can remove the string actually, when I change them next.

I'm either looking for another stem that I would usually use for the D string (can't find the part), having it machined, or another set of strings that has a slightly thinner G string (don't know what set would work). I guess I could also buy a separate string for the G, but that sounds like a hassle in the long run. Has anyone else run into this dilemma and have a suggestion? I know most people here use fixed bridges and don't do death metal type stuff. Its not really a huge deal but its annoying. Thanks.

VOLVO)))

Ibanez guitars should have an Edge trem, It's the Ibanez proprietary floating trem. I'm assuming you have the one you feed the strings through the back of the intonation adjustment screws. There's no way to modify the string to get it to fit, it's just a fat end. Different strings are the easy option, in this situation. You could make that a double locking trem with a about 60 bucks and some shipping time. Either way, there's a little bit of wait time involved. You can see if you can dig up a .22P string at GC or some place like that...

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3769&productid=31&productname=EXL148_Nickel_Wound__Extra_Heavy__12_60

^^^^ those would be your best bet
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hollowedtree

Thanks Sunno! Picked up some .22p. Work great. I can't go any larger on the other strings without changing the whole bridge, which works fine, so it's not worth the effort. Btw...I'm using some Dragonfire Screamers (black and neon green). They're great pickups, especially for the price.

VOLVO)))

Glad to hear! I had the same problem with a BC Rich Warlock a year or two ago.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

neighbor664

Hollowedtree, is that you Bruce? That guitar looks familiar.

Hollowedtree

Yep. It's me Eric. Unless someone else has a purple neon shark toothed inlayed Ibanez with black and green neon pickups and plays doom. Loving B standard. Wish I changed earlier, but it gives me some momentum in songwriting. Like a new instrument. I usually do D or C#, but B its great with the Floyd. Needed to change shit for that to work. Can't really go back. Learning lots of Carcass. haha :)