Main Menu

Fuzz advice

Started by AgentofOblivion, July 20, 2012, 11:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AgentofOblivion

So I mainly play a heavy blues style that breaks into doom stuff...we call it sludge blues.  My tone is generally the warm tube sound that's just past the break up point, a la Graveyard, Witchcraft...etc.  I'm looking for a fuzz that can give me a nasty blues sound (perhaps when backing off the guitar volume) as well as the stoner/doom/almost-Truckfighters when things are going full bore.  I tend to prefer a pedal that can do one or two things really well than having a crazy amount of options.  My buddy has a Redwitch fuzz that is just a pain in the ass.  You have to go through 20 unusable tones before you find something cool. 

So, any recommendations?  I'd like to keep it under $200 and I'll happily buy used.

BigSwordfishtrombone

Big muffs seem to be pretty big amongst stoner rock and blues rock, so I would go there first.

dunwichamps

if u u looking into a muff, the go to for versatility in terms of gain is a pharaoh.

Baltar

Maybe a MKII/Marshall Supa Fuzz tonebender or clone?  Or maybe a BC 108 Fuzz Face.  Jimmy Page used the MKII. Hendrix had the FF.  I have a MKII/Supa Fuzz clone and I can get good slightly OD tones when I roll back my VOL pot.  You can find clones on ebay for as low as $150.  Smitty Pedals makes a combo MKI & MKII in the same pedal. $129.95

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smitty-Pedals-SMITTY-BENDER-MK1-5-MKII-switchable-Tone-Bender-/390436226409?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5ae7d00569#ht_6020wt_1185

The guy has 100% positive feedback and makes a bunch of solid looking clones.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Baltar

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

OR50

Black Arts Toneworks Pharoh and LSTR

Blackout Effectors Musket

EarthQuaker Hoof

clockwork green

Black Arts Sarcophagus (Pharaoh and LSTR in one pedal) would be my choice for you. I set the Pharaoh to crunchy and raw yet still hairy while I run the LSTR with a nasty scoop for a Super Fuzz meets Muff sound...great for Electric Wizard tones.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

Ive got a Ritual running into a Pharaoh. Using the Ritual for the gritty mmmmmm and the Pharaoh to boost it into slam-my-preamp mode.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

everdrone

I got a pharaoh running into my proco rat II, its pretty killer  ;D

AgentofOblivion

Thanks fellas.  Sounds like a Pharaoh is a good launch off point.  I have a Zakk Wylde MXR overdrive that is actually really badass, so hopefully I can use those two to create the pallet I'm interested in.  Cheers.

spookstrickland

Fuzz Face all the way, just listen to Hendrix, SRV, Eric Johnson for how it can be bluesy.  Just roll the volume knob back a little on your guitar and it gets cleaner and bluesier but hit it full on and it's a wall of fuzz.

Talk to Brad at Creep Fingers he makes an awesome Fuzz Face!

Cheers
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Stonergrunge

I think a Fuzz Face could be better than a Muff in this case, specially considering your need for rolling back the guitar's volume knob. I suggest you to look for the germanium version of the MJM London Fuzz or any germanium fuzz face clone for that matter, since silicon could be too bright for what you're looking for, just turn the fuzz knob all the way up and change the amount of gain using only the knobs and the toggle switch(es) of your guitar.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

bitter

Quote from: spookstrickland on July 23, 2012, 04:51:04 PM
Fuzz Face all the way, just listen to Hendrix, SRV, Eric Johnson for how it can be bluesy.  Just roll the volume knob back a little on your guitar and it gets cleaner and bluesier but hit it full on and it's a wall of fuzz.

Talk to Brad at Creep Fingers he makes an awesome Fuzz Face!

Cheers

Quote from: Stonergrunge on July 23, 2012, 05:52:35 PM
I think a Fuzz Face could be better than a Muff in this case, specially considering your need for rolling back the guitar's volume knob. I suggest you to look for the germanium version of the MJM London Fuzz or any germanium fuzz face clone for that matter, since silicon could be too bright for what you're looking for, just turn the fuzz knob all the way up and change the amount of gain using only the knobs and the toggle switch(es) of your guitar.

Both opinions are good, but when it comes to having a little flexibility, I would suggest a Dunwich fac off fuzz. So much fuzz available + lower gain and boost options on tap. Add the fac dial and you can fine tune the right amount of low end for your setup. Even in the higher gain settings, the fac dialed back really works well for bluesier stuff. 
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

FullCustom

I know someone who plays the same style music that uses our fuzz.