Gibson SG Special for sale, What do you guys think ?

Started by MikeyT, May 05, 2011, 02:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeyT

From a Craig's List ad (no pics):

"Have a beautiful Gibson SG, black, all original. Plays great, very little sign of use or wear."

Ad title says it's a 2001 Gibson SG Special. He wants $550, but needs to sell. So I called him...

He said it has P-90S (which I'm fine with). Then he said it could be a '76 or a 2001- something about Gibson having trouble with their serial #s. Should have asked him for the serial # and ran it.

I probably shouldn't buy it because he said the neck was pretty hefty, and I really want to go with slim taper necks for Gibsons, but I'm still tempted (thinking I could probably get my money out of it if I'm not happy). He's set to come by the job late tonight, but I could call him back and cancel.

What do you think of the price ?

Sounds like a fairly good deal. Again, no case. I'm thinking I shouldn't go over $500.

What do you guys say ?

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

LogicalFrank

I definitely wouldn't go over five. Depends on if you're looking for a deal or just really like the guitar. If I were trying to buy a used special, I'd probably be looking to find one for a around $400-450 but I'd expect to have to bide my time a bit to find one. You could probably find a faded special for that much pretty easily but I guess that depends if you like the finish.
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

MikeyT

I bet it's a cool guitar. He could be wrong ( & that's why I wanted to see it); but he said it had a big neck, & if it does, I can't use it.

Called him back & left a message telling him I'd pass.

Had to, because I knew if he'd brought it by and it looked & sounded cool I woudn't have been able to resist laying my money down.  ;)

the diddler

You might wanna keep an eye out for sale prices on those 60's tribute SG specials- P-90s, small pickguard,  seem to be listing for around 800 now, bet they drop to around 6 in a couple months.  I could be totally wrong- and haven't played one - but they look pretty cool to me. 

tossom

Quote from: the diddler on May 07, 2011, 02:23:40 PM
You might wanna keep an eye out for sale prices on those 60's tribute SG specials- P-90s, small pickguard,  seem to be listing for around 800 now, bet they drop to around 6 in a couple months.  I could be totally wrong- and haven't played one - but they look pretty cool to me. 

They are lovely guitars, I could easily have bought one.  Common sense stopped me, since I already have an SG.
"Beige rock"

MikeyT

Quote from: the diddler on May 07, 2011, 02:23:40 PM

Yeah, they do look cool- especially the 'natural' ones.

And I was thinking 8 is more than I want to pay for one, but if they dropped-