Functional whammy bar systems for large string and lower tunings?

Started by clockwork green, November 23, 2012, 03:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

What works? I've never owned a Bigsby but I've heard nothing but problems and criticisms about tuning stability.  I've had Fender Strat-style trems and they're fine but can be touchy if you want them to float.  I've had 2 Floyd's and again, getting them to float is a pain in the ass but once set up they work great. The problem is they often don't work well or even at all with huge strings (I usually use 14-68's).

I miss having having a functioning whammy bar for post-rock songs...what works? If all things were equally functional, I'd love to have a Bisby but I'd also rather have something that stays in tune over something that just looks cool. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Baltar

Billy Duffy from The Cult doesn't like the early design Bigsby's.  His Falcon is from the 70's and claims that they sound and work better.  Might be worth a shot.

This style Bigs:

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: clockwork green on November 23, 2012, 03:23:57 AM
What works? I've never owned a Bigsby but I've heard nothing but problems and criticisms about tuning stability.  I've had Fender Strat-style trems and they're fine but can be touchy if you want them to float.  I've had 2 Floyd's and again, getting them to float is a pain in the ass but once set up they work great. The problem is they often don't work well or even at all with huge strings (I usually use 14-68's).

I miss having having a functioning whammy bar for post-rock songs...what works? If all things were equally functional, I'd love to have a Bisby but I'd also rather have something that stays in tune over something that just looks cool. 

What is the problem you get with huge strings and FR? I use smooth pliers to squash flats onto the bridge end so it grips properly.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mawso

fuck bigsbys

if i thought my guitar needed something on it that's kinda ugly, weighs too much and just doesn't work then i'd sit on it