Main Menu

How many amps?

Started by Ranbat, May 12, 2013, 08:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

WAY fucking cool!

I have always wanted , and still want, a fender tweed amp and am partial to the narrow panels like yours

can I ask when you bought it, under what circumstances and how much you paid?

good damn its beautiful. :)

clockwork green

I got it about 2 years ago, I think it was $1100-1200 or in that range, I can't quite recall.  I got it on ebay but the guy was only about 90 minutes away.  I was looking for a nice old tweed and the Tweed Deluxes were a bit more expensive.  I figured if a Harvard was good enough for Steve Cropper then it would be good enough for me.  It sounds great.  A bit cleaner than a Deluxe but if you run it at 100V-110V it gets closer to that classic tweed distortion.  There's definitely something special about a good old amp. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

The Bandit

I hate the word, but that amp is the definition of mojo.

Chovie D

some day I will find myself a nice little tweed champ or princeton or pro., ive never even seen a harvard.

thanks for sharing the pics and info, beautiful amp!

The Bandit

Are there any Fender amps from that period that weren't good?

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: The Bandit on May 24, 2013, 12:54:59 PM

Think the bad ones have all caught fire by now.

Chovie D

Quote from: The Bandit on May 24, 2013, 12:54:59 PM

short answer is no, but some are more desireable than others.

played both these at a guitar show, way overpriced especially the champ.
the princteon the left is what they call TV model, the4 champ on the right is what tehy call "wide panel" as a opposed ot CG's narrow panel harvard

the diddler

About 10 years ago, my parents neighbor was cleaning out his garage and found an old tweed champ.  They called me and asked if it was worth anything- I said hell yes and don't do anything with it until I can get over there.  Apparently the 3 days wait was too much for the dick- he went and sold to the local shop for 200 bucks. 

Chovie D

:D yup, you gotta get to those people within 15 mintues or they'll do something stupid.

10 years ago those champs were probably in the $600 range?
Thats about what i want to pay for one now and would consider a good deal.

but im probably way off...

the diddler

I'd planned on giving the guy 350, assuming it wasn't too messed up- woulda been a great deal for me and a better deal than the impatient cocksucker ended up with.

kirky

The Fender Harvard amp was used extensively by Ace Frehley in the studio btw.

grimniggzy

I have too many. I probably only "need" 1-2 of the amps I own. Nah, actually only 1