Main Menu

Unwanted mod done to my amp

Started by beerrhino, July 20, 2013, 11:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Hahahaha. Mad? I actually bring something to the table other than false wisdom and being a crotchety dickhead.

Produce something other than bullshit, and Ill start giving you some respect, until then, stop trolling and piss off.

Aren't you supposed to be an adult? Arguing with a 24 year old "kid"  on the internet? Real complex you are, my friend. Classy.

Age =/= respect

As far as sycophantism goes, lol.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

beerrhino

I had brought my gear to this guy many times in the past 8 or so years and he had always done a top notch job.  When he told me what he did I trusted his opinion.  Maybe I was a fool but he had never done wrong by me before. 
I have called the shop and they are going to undo the change without charge since it is not something I authorized.

RacerX

Quote from: beerrhino on August 07, 2013, 06:53:12 PM
I had brought my gear to this guy many times in the past 8 or so years and he had always done a top notch job.  When he told me what he did I trusted his opinion.  Maybe I was a fool but he had never done wrong by me before. 
I have called the shop and they are going to undo the change without charge since it is not something I authorized.

Good.

And if they had already earned your trust, don't blame yourself. Whatever reason/excuse he may give, bottom line is he should have asked before modding the amp. Period.
Livin' The Life.

mawso

Quote from: beerrhino on July 20, 2013, 11:43:18 PM

Has this ever happened to anyone else: a tech modding your gear without asking you? 

Yeah.  My Trainwreck clone blew its OT, so I took into the tech to get it replaced.  He modded the speaker jacks so that the amp won't work unless a speaker cable is in one of the amp's two speaker outs.  It's meant to be a precautionary thing so that you don't accidently run the amp without a load.  But I was never gonna do that anyway, and the whole mod has just turned out to be a pain in the arse where every time you set up, you have to remember which speaker out is the one you need to be plugged into, and half the time you get it wrong. 

Anyway, this tech who did the unauthorised mod was/maybe still is regarded as one of the best techs for audio gear in Melbourne, so I was way too intimidated by his wizardly gravitas at the time to object to what he'd done when he detailed it to me.  But I stopped going back there after that one.

For years later that amp never sounded as good after the new OT was in.. until years later I found out from the next tech that he'd wired in my OT back-to-front or some shit.  When he fixed that, i had the tone back.

jibberish

beer, I sure didn't mean for this thread to blow up on my account.

my thought was a pure failure analysis assuming the goal was a perfect show.  Your situation was already done and I am glad your guy got you square.

Now the next time, maybe every one of us reading this thread will have certain preparatory info for the tech before he starts work. ..as some people have already explained that they do.