Two conductor pickup more microphonic than 4 conductor?

Started by Instant Dan, February 15, 2011, 10:20:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instant Dan

I am in the process of replacing the bridge of my sg with a rio grande BBQ or Duncan invader.

Anyway, I know that the difference between single and 4 conductor is the possibility to coil tap it but i will not be doing that in sg. My main fear is will it withstand the gobs of fuzz or dirt I throw on it without it being microphonic?

VOLVO)))

With modern humbuckers, you won't have to worry about microphonics. Well, if they are shitty pickups, that are poorly potted, you will. If they're higher end pickups, they come wax potted from the factory. If you don't know what potting is, it's basically the act of wax impregnating the coils and sealing them off from the outside world. All the space between the winds, the magnet... all of it gets dipped in wax. It basically eliminates all vibration-induced noise. It also protects from corrosion, and keeps everything in place. If you get a four conductor pickup, it actually has four wires, plus a bare ground. If it's a Duncan, and you aren't coil tapping, the Red/white are soldered together and taped off. They're not effecting anything. They have nothing to do with the microphonics, if there are any. Hope this helps.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

NoSleepTilSleep

The amount of conductor will have no bearing in microphonics. Also a pickup not need necessarily be potted to prevent squealing, a lot of smaller
makers are actually advising against it lately. As SunnO))) said, it's all in the fit of the components, between the base-plate, magnets, bobbins, cover (if there is one), it's a process to be sure, just research beforehand.

Also, I see you mentioned two pretty high-output p/up's, if you are planing on running a lot of dirt (especially through pedals) remember lower output pick up's are your friend. With some 15k+ output ceramic pickup that wall of fuzz will turn into a wall of shit. Ya gotta think about the balance and interaction between things like pickups + pedals + amps, if everything is high-gain/massive fuzz it's going to be overkill (in an unpleasing way). Don't overlook something with an alnico II magnet, pairing something like that with gobs of fuzz will give you much more control out of your rig.

VOLVO)))

I attest to the lower output pickups if you are using tons of gain. The bridge in my Mock is 16.9k, and i have to back the gain down on all of my pedals, and amps, to make it sound godly. Stay in the Super Distortion area, and let the pedals do their job. Fuck Duncan invaders. POS.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

As you increase the windings on a pickup, you decrease the frequency response, so high output pickups tend to have a narrower frequency range, and will tend to sound bitey, which is cool, if you like that kind of thing. ;D

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Instant Dan

I didn't think the Rio Grande BBQ was a high output or 'distortion' pickup but more of a beefy '59 or paf with the highs snipped a little.

I have been reading up and it sounds like a 57 classic does well in a guitar like mine with an ebony fretboard.

EDIT: Nevermind, reading up more on it on the BBQ, it just sounds like a lower output Super Distortion.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Instant Dan

I decided to a 57 Classic plus in the bridge I picked up for $50. I just hope it is not too brittle or trebley in the setup I am playing in.