I know there is a Fibson thread on here somewhere

Started by grimniggzy, May 09, 2013, 11:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimniggzy

...but I'm not going through the effort to find it.
What do you guys think about this?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=115&cp_id=11501&cs_id=1150101&p_id=610200&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I'm thinking it could be the next Grime Status guitar.

The Bandit

RAGER

Guitars like that usually require lots of upgrades and massaging to get where they're half enjoyable to play.  If you're a tinkering type, a decent guitar can be had for a total of 300-400 bucks and several hours of labor.
No Focus Pocus

grimniggzy

Quote from: The Bandit on May 09, 2013, 12:03:10 PM
Shit, for that amount try it.

That's kind of my thought on it. I still have a few guitars I need to fix up before I go after another anyway.

Quote from: RAGER on May 09, 2013, 12:32:19 PM
Guitars like that usually require lots of upgrades and massaging to get where they're half enjoyable to play.  If you're a tinkering type, a decent guitar can be had for a total of 300-400 bucks and several hours of labor.

Kinda figured as much. Maybe one day when I have the monies.

The Bandit

You never know, that Arbor SG JR copy I had cost about $150 and was damn good straight out of the box.

RAGER

There's always that chance.  I've been tempted many times to buy one of them $150 jobbies all the while figuring on spending a couple hundred and some hours.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Only problem is reselling. It's almost impossible to unload one of those off-brands unles it in and of itself is a Smokin' deal. Even with Lindy Fralin pickups, Grover's, new electronics, nut, setup and whatnot, none of that stuff would matter upon resale. I've finally learned that lesson. That thing would need to be priced at $75 in order to draw any interest. Would you shell out $130 if it were sitting at a flea market?  I would not.

Bottom line, in terms of worth, you'd spend the time and money on getting it to a certain point and you'd only be able to realistically move the thing afterwards for a fraction of what you have into it.

Now if you want to keep it forever, that's a different story. If you want a project because its fun, again thats cool too, but dont think of breaking even if you do decide to sell it.  Better to think in terms of buying a project and the price of admission is all of those new components and build time while you're drinking beer listening to vinyl.

/My $.02.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Also, bolt on neck les paul?  For shame good sir. For shame.
Vinyls.   deal.

MichaelZodiac

Didn't Jake sell a silverburst Fibson, can't remember what it sold for.

Quote from: Pissy on May 09, 2013, 04:33:56 PM
Also, bolt on neck les paul?  For shame good sir. For shame.
Also this.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

grimniggzy

Didn't even realize it was a bolty. Either way, its not something I'd dump a whole bunch of money into.

RAGER

The only reason I would do any of what I said would to be a player.  I figured that didn't need to be said.  Of course theirs no resale value but all those goodies you can take right back off and dig oot the box with the shite and bolt that crap back on prolly get yer $75.

But yeah bolt on?  Fuck that.
No Focus Pocus

FullCustom

Sorry to crash your dreams but that is actually just a 1:1 scale model of a guitar, not a real guitar.

The Shocker

Quote from: Pissy on May 09, 2013, 04:23:31 PM
Only problem is reselling. It's almost impossible to unload one of those off-brands unles it in and of itself is a Smokin' deal. Even with Lindy Fralin pickups, Grover's, new electronics, nut, setup and whatnot, none of that stuff would matter upon resale. I've finally learned that lesson. That thing would need to be priced at $75 in order to draw any interest. Would you shell out $130 if it were sitting at a flea market?  I would not.

Bottom line, in terms of worth, you'd spend the time and money on getting it to a certain point and you'd only be able to realistically move the thing afterwards for a fraction of what you have into it.

Now if you want to keep it forever, that's a different story. If you want a project because its fun, again thats cool too, but dont think of breaking even if you do decide to sell it.  Better to think in terms of buying a project and the price of admission is all of those new components and build time while you're drinking beer listening to vinyl.

/My $.02.

Not worth selling, but can be trade bait.

Discö Rice

There is nothing wrong with a bolt on neck. There are bolt on necks on some of the best guitars ever made, and you're shaming a dude for buying a cheap dick-around lp copy because it's not a neck-thru.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

jibberish

used epi LP's.  there are tons out there.

you probably could even get you a zackkie [wishedhewas]wylde bullseye one for cheap

Pissy

Quote from: Discö Rice on May 10, 2013, 12:40:50 AM
There is nothing wrong with a bolt on neck. There are bolt on necks on some of the best guitars ever made, and you're shaming a dude for buying a cheap dick-around lp copy because it's not a neck-thru.

Les Pauls aren't neck-thru's. ;)
Vinyls.   deal.

I,Galactus

Quote from: FullCustom on May 09, 2013, 04:52:11 PM
Sorry to crash your dreams but that is actually just a 1:1 scale model of a guitar, not a real guitar.

Damnit, this is way funnier to me than it has any right to be.  Applauded.  :D
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Mr. Foxen

Good thing about bolt neck guitars is you can unbolt he neck and stick the parts on ebay, and people will pay more for them separate than they will for a whole instrument.

Discö Rice

Quote from: Pissy on May 10, 2013, 07:18:06 AM
Quote from: Discö Rice on May 10, 2013, 12:40:50 AM

Les Pauls aren't neck-thru's. ;)
Set neck. My bad. That changes everything.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

grimniggzy

Oh, you guys. Anyway, the band I play guitar in is now having our last show on June 14th.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

morgantician

I had an amazing Fibson. Bought new from the Chinese factory for $200 plus $100 for shipping, but it was at my door 6 days after I paid.

Yes, I had to replace the tuners, nut, frets, pickups, pots, selector switch, but I had most of that stuff laying around, so it didn't feel like I spent much. I set it up, and it played like a dream. It was a good and straight set neck and the weight of the body was dead on. It was a very enjoyable guitar to play.

It even had MADE IN USA stamped (not just printed) on the headstock and a lifted serial number from a real Gibson. Someone really did their homework.

The only tell I ever saw was some of the finishing on the edges was inconsistent, and because it was a lighter stain, you could see where wood was glued together, rather than where Gibson would use one solid piece.

I bought it to trash in a live setting and not feel guilty. I ended up going easy on it because it played so well. I eventually sold it (honestly, telling it was a fake) for $500 or so. I might have made a few bucks but not much. I'd do it again.

Lip

what are some of the fibson sites? I'd like to look into one. My friend Jamie has one.. Arctic white deluxe... i really liked it.
Last night I heard the ghetto bird circle.... as I was eatin' fish.... and watchin' Erkel...