High On Fire, KvelertaK, Doomriders 11.13.13 Underground Arts, Philly, PA

Started by SabbathJeff, November 14, 2013, 01:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SabbathJeff

Last night was a blast.

Took my good old friend Z to her first High On Fire gig, while I myself joined the 5 timers club in my robe, a glass of brandy and pipe in mouth (haha...) seriously though, it was very nice introducing a friend I've known for 8 years to the High On Fire experience.  She said she loved it, and I couldn't disagree with that.

Doomriders were first.   Didn't seem like many people enjoyed their set, myself included.  I don't know, it just was a bad introduction on the night, I guess.  High On Fire should've taken a Black Breath/Black Cobra type of situation out on the opening slot with kvelertak on the bill, it would have been just right.  Alas, I don't book these things.

Kvelertak.  KVLT troo Norwegian black metal.  What a crazy, fun fucking band to watch.  3 goddamn guitars, the bass, drums, and then that crazy dude screaming.  Who came out with a gutted owl over his head and started singing the first song looking more satanic than...any other show I've ever seen, I suppose.  they were done after 5 epics, and left me with my jaw on the floor and neck already hurting, though I knew I'd better save some for what was next.  Totally want an album now, and so cool to see a band from Norway play that old school fast satanic shit..\m/ :o \m/ Big pits broke out, good to see.

Not in correct order, and not quite complete, here's what I'm remembering that High On Fire played as I didn't write a setlist down last night, thought I'd just go and enjoy the tunes.  10,000 Years, Fireface, Eyes & Teeth, Razor Hoof, Cometh Down Hessian, Fury Whip, Rumors Of War, Snakes For The Divine, Serums Of Liao, Madness Of An Architect, (King Of Days?  Pretty sure), Slave The Hive and actually that may have been everything.

Highlights to me: Eyes And Teeth, fucking Hessian, and Madness of an Architect were all pummelling....my friend Z loves the first album, so hearing 10,00 Years and Fireface, despite not having the intro's played live for some reason, were quite enjoyable to her.  My unabashed love of the first album is quite known I assume, and I always love hearing those old tunes, but eyes and teeth and hessian were just brutal as all hell for some reason last night, and Madness of an architect was really heavy after the intro; i love that fucking intro so much.

Scion A/V van man never showed with the new 7", so they haven't had it the entire tour.  If you're as old a High On Fire fan as I am, you now should hate Toyota and never purchase their motor vehicles.  Ha!  Grabbed a patch for my vest instead, headed home, dollar menu burgers, and sleep for group this morning.  Probaly more sleep now, just had to get this thing over and done.

Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

SabbathJeff

Thanks priest!  Much obliged.

Still figuring out December, maybe a Bombino review, maybe Valkyrie..

/conflicted
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

lftwng4

SabbathJeff

I know;

I'm throwing a lot around because my lady friend's bday is the 18, and mine's the 24th, so she's coming over in between to hang, but
i really really want to take her to an acoustic evening, and dax riggs and mike cummings are playing and I think it'd  be a nice date
I'll figure this out
Burn Everything Ash

Cinders Smolder Life

Fresh Crop Harvest

Eat. Sleep. Stonerrock.

Boguspierre80

I saw High on Fire with Kverlertak and Windhand. Windhand blew me away. They are so good that I bought their albums off of iTunes and haven't stopped listening to them. Woodbine is an amazing song. Kverlertak was crazy and I loved their Orange amps and cabs. High on Fire came out and made the whole building shake. I'm glad that I brought ear plugs. It's the loudest show I've ever seen. Even louder than Fu Manchu and the Melvins. I saw this all go down in Minneapolis at First Avenue on 11/30/2013. I even chatted with this other guy who was there in an Electric Wizard shirt too. I had such a blast.  ;D