What bass guitar gaugestrings for C standard? going for Sleep Al Cisneros tone.

Started by everdrone, March 14, 2023, 12:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

everdrone

I am running my Rickenbacker Bass into a cranked Ampeg V-4 bass head and 8x10s.  What gauge strings should I get?   I just emailed Rickenbacker company.

I currently use the Rickenbacker, .045-.105 strings but I need to get a pro setup/intonation. I am tuned to C standard with my .045-.105 strings but I do not think there is enough tension and strings are buzzing and easy to bend. 

the Rickenbacker Bass Al Cisneros comes with Rickenbacker, .045-.105 strings:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4003AC--rickenbacker-al-cisneros-signature-4003-natural

p.s. if interested here is my rickenbacker tone for my doom music: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

edit: Rickenbacker resposne was fast:

Hi Ron,

For down tuned tuning I've always had luck with a set of Ernie Ball power slinky bass round wound strings in the gauge set of 55-110. This may require the nut slots to be widened slightly to accommodate the slightly thicker string gauges but these strings should keep tension better with a lower tuning. Rickenbacker only recommends the use of 45-105 gauge strings but I have had luck with the 55-110 gauge on my personal instrument.

Please be aware that RIC warranty covers the instrument functioning with 45-105 gauge string son it so make sure to switch back to that gauge size if you should ever need to contact us for warranty work on the instrument.

I hope this information is helpful, please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with.

wow thanks

that may be a life saver since I was thinking about fill the nut slots and the bridge saddles to accommodate the strings like this Al Cisneros fan did for C standard:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16640

mortlock

i think you can use a B string from a 5 string set as your E string. might work better for you. i played a gig on a borrowed bass once. it was a 5 string (im a 4 string guy) and i tuned the B to C (band tuned to C) and it played great.

James1214

FWIW I have used rotosound 45-105 roundwounds in C on my Rickenbacker 4003 for 20 years.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
words

everdrone

thanks brutha I have been doing that same thing using light 45-105strings and tuning to C# on my ric

I never got a setup for it

then for another project I actually got a setup for E standard with 45-105

I want to get a setup again for C standard for home recordings and was concerned about intonation and being in tune.  Instruments need a certain tension like baritone guitars and 5 string basses are longer necks.  I dont know that much about it and the exact amount of pressure and all but I figure the engineer of the product was figuring no one would be tuned to C or something when rics were made since it is a shorter fretboard.  It sounds great I just want it to sound in tune...I plan to get my guitar setup to C standard and use the same strings Sleep band uses which are .012-.056 so I want to have my ric bass have good intonation too.  I never got setups but did recordings over the years...not too bad sounding but want to step up my game a little: https://soundcloud.com/earthalliance

mortlock

im digging earth alliance. you ever try and find other people to round out the band so you can play out?

everdrone

thanks man

those riffs I made sure to not spend more than an hour for each recording, they are demos

I started a doom metal band awhile back by renting a rehearsal room for 5 months on my own.  those dudes I was jamming with then took our songs and started their own band and later asked me to rejoin.   I rejoined and learned the rest of their 45 minute set and played some shows.  But they did not want to cowrite songs and they had problems with my clothes I wore onstage so I got kicked out. 

so I just focused on cover bands and tribute bands after that.  I am thinking about going back to doom sludge heavy rock originals again though, at least I need to start working on more one hour recordings thanks for the encouragement

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

everdrone

thanks brutha! been playing 1/2 hour on bass every day so my chops are getting back to speed :-)