all things SYNTH & KEYBOARD thread

Started by jibberish, November 30, 2013, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Submarine

RAGER

I sold my non working set of Taurus 1's about 5 years ago for a thousand.

And yes jib, the Minotaur I think is going for about 5 Hundo. There's one locally on cl for 400 that I'm eyeballing but I just preordered that meeblip. So ill see what that does first.
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

One of these just became available at my buddy's shop.  If it's there in a couple days I'm gonna put some money down on it.  I can't stop.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Ok I have it on hold for me.  Squeeeeel!!
No Focus Pocus

RAGER

I went down and played the SE-1 synth today.  Absolutely loved it.  Super fat low end.  Gonna pick it up in the next couple weeks prolly.  Can't take money out of savings and ain't gonna put it on a card.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

heh, you're killing me rager, but I do like you do: bills/savings/toys. separate things that don't cross lines.
it actually is more fun having to allocate precious few play bucks when they come through, like a strategy game, but a few more wont spoil me.
I'm feeling the end of the tunnel coming on the music room. under a thou to get it marginally finished with the last of the key soundgear.
one low impedance amp is all that is needed until I build the subs[next winter project] and oddball shit like effects and couple different type mic stands.

then the microbrute is first thing for sure, and afterwards, off to the races....

does your pal have a prophet 8 or 12 you can play with and tell me how mind blowing it really is or not? I only have seen videos and am still very looking forward to playing with one, even a tetra module.

RAGER

Discovered the early Yamaha CS series.  There's a CS-5 on CL right now but I been looking at vids of all of 'em.  pretty cool and semi affordable.  Between the SE-1, the Novation and all my other shit I can do anything those can do but still they are pretty cool.  might have to put one on the list of synths to get.

Here's a couple vids.

And of course from Bade Runner, the CS-80

No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

The problem with the cs5 is that yamaha made a 2 stroke Street bike in 72 with the same model designation. I own one and would also like to own the synth. I've got a vst plug in of one and it's not particularly impressive though. If I found one on the cheap I might get it but I really yearn for an analog polysynth much more than ano ther monophonic
CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

You yearn to play chords.  That's why I have the Super Nova, for those big lush pads.  bu tI would ove to have a Mono/Poly or Polysix.  Nearly traded my 2000s for a Polysix.  I'm still not sure how I feel about that.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

korg is re-issuing th eARP Odyssey. I saved up like $950 when I was a busrat in highschool to buy one of those new.  I never should have sold it, but maybe I will be glad I did.  that thing did the Frankenstein thing in th emiddle. classic ARP sound. the ARP 2600 would be the killer to recreate. that's the one the Who had for all their shit.

remember, much of that pure analog drifts in tuning. the new shit is digital locked, analog path. I am losing my desire for any vintage synths.

jibberish

here is a demo on an original. mine had a white face. it may have been 1st gen.  I did a rick wakeman solo in band on it. borrowed a pal's fender twin reverb to play it. that fucker was so heavy, but totally could overpower the whole orchestra and big room. we did that song at state at bowling green. most people never saw a synth, so Strongsville freaked everyone out. I was so fucking nervous, except then I wasn't because no one knew what my part was supposed to sound like

I still need to thank my old band director, uncle Kenny heh for doing that for me, but he realized a freak kid with a freak kid dream of music.
this synth blew the minimoog out of the water for sound effects.  I was horribly disappointed in the digital synths for sound effects. I have the original Yamaha DX-7 that was released in like 1980-81. digital. amazing in its own right, but not for sound effects.  this right here was king of effects.

eyeprod

Speakingof poly synth, I have this boss vocal effect pedal that has harmony and looping features. It's actually really cool for beefing up my minibrute. I can do a one man show with that thing and a drum machine. It also has a decent digital delay that also works well with the mb. I imagine that one of those pogs has more power to make some interesting chords.
CV - Slender Fungus

eyeprod

I am leaning towards the less is more approach even though I would love to have a nice arsenal of cool synths. My needs are pretty minimal though and much like guitars, I really don't want to have a collection of stuff that I don't need or use much. That and I don't like to haul a bunch of gear around just to perform a 30 minute set.
CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

I hear ya. I pretty much have 2 guitars that I play and one bass. But when I get into something new I kinda go for it. I'm hoping to amass synth gear and then pare down to what suits me. Keep in mind that a mini and a micro can get you duophony and other cool shits.

Picked up a used controller today. A Fatara studio 610 61 key that controls 2 synths. It's pretty basic but I'll post a pic anyways. FYI , Fatara makes key beds for lots of synths including DSI. Kind of an odd one but that's me for ya.
No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

Coo. Y eah I've had a bunch of neat synths over the years and it does help to figure out what suits you. There are several ideas that I'd like to explore, like modules and one controller, or maybe two main synths and a couple of dedicated effects. I'll probably have to keep it really simple because I'm on a budget and want to use what gear I already have. That's why I was Stoked to realize what that vocal effect box could provide. With loops I can get quite a lot out of just one synth. I've been practicing creating sci-fi sounding backgrounds on the fly. Like I'll start with a bassy pulse then add some high end blips. Layer that with some heavily delayed midrange something or other then play something melodicewith the harmonizer kicked in. I'll try various stuff with that basic approach, trying to figure out what works best for live performance while determining where I might want to invest in new gear that offers me more possibilities.

Edit : gah! This SwiftKey app is handy but it makes me have to triple check my grammar so I don't type things like, coo.
CV - Slender Fungus

jibberish

rager, if you can check out how many splits a controller keyboard has, you can assign a different MIDI channel to each section , then have 3 different synths set to receive 3 different MIDI channels. you can double up with layers too. some keyboards have sick split/layer options, and there are 16 MIDI channels so banzaii.
fatar is a huge OEM keyboard maker besides having their own line of controller keyboards.

I was looking at the volca series today. damn those are tiny heh, but they look slick.  gc has an ultranova. i'll play with that one day specifically. almost grabbed the microbrute, but fuck paying tax.

RAGER

It's the Fatar Studio 610.  2 midi outs that can handle 4 synths each (using the i/o of each synth I'm guessing to stack up and layer) and only a couple other buttons, mod and pitch wheel.  Yeah I mentioned that Fatar makes most keybeds.  That's why I jumped on this one.  Gotta learn up on dis shits.  Gotta wait another pay period to get the SE-1.  Don't hafta but I'm making myself have some self control for once.  Got enough to keep me confused already.  Anyways here she is.  Got her hooked up to my Shruthi I built and the Supernova.  Big monophonic bass root notes at the head of gigantic lush pads.  Imma finna blow shit up. 61 glorious keys

No Focus Pocus

eyeprod

Cool. 4 zones is great. If I  had modules I would probably go that route myself. Still need a sequencer or looper so you don't have to actually know how to play keyboard, haha. Or e lse you'll wish you had 4 hand. 
CV - Slender Fungus

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Beta Cloud

Quote from: RAGER on April 23, 2014, 07:43:11 PM
Synth corner currently.

fantastic collection man, really killer. but can you stop grinding that cymbal and get a new one already!?!?
why does it hurt when i pee?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

jibberish

yeah, nice toybox. this actually has started me thinking on a master "synth rack"  to put such a collection as that, in one portable unit of some sort.

you are going to need a big mixer for all that audio input from all those synths.

RAGER

Not only that but I need a complete re-vamp of my sound system to achieve stereo and panning and the like.  Everything is mono currently.  sux.  I figure that will cost me at least a couple grand.  Busy season is upon me so I'll have a bit more extra dough to play with.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

oh boy. you will be feeling my pain.
that's what this whole music room thing has been about. really a stereo PA system if you get right down to it. then single things like a mic'd guitar amp or synth, get to express stereo effects and panning. this is also needed for recording anyway so a lot of stuff can do double duty, like the mixer, monitor/speaker amp. I am getting components of a certain level so I can yank them for actual PA applications in the future..more double duty..

the 8 simultaneous record tracks on the 24track will come in handy for recording a stack of synched synths.  I actually am thinking about scoring a "many-channel" fire-wire interface. that is a fast dedicated buss that can easily jam many tracks with no interrupts like usb has.

it sucks having to pre-mix a many voiced keyboard barrage while recording. you cant fix it if the mix is off.

in other news, the volca key sets are hitting CL. all 3 and power supply and cables $400.  nice start, but I can wait for them to go further down heh.
old Yamaha c-whatever on clevos cl, I forgot the model