Main Menu

My Strat Died last night!

Started by spookstrickland, December 06, 2013, 07:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spookstrickland

Well fuck my Number 1 guitar that I've played every day for 15 years is fucked.  I'd noticed that it was going horribly out of tune.  then I looked at the bridge and the floyd rose was all cockeyed I took it apart and the body where the post goes in on the treble side has a big crack and the post is leaning!  It's a MIJ so I don't know if it can or is worth being fixed but I sure loved this guitar and I'm sad like a good friend has died.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

VOLVO)))

So pull all the hardware off, spread the crack so you can shoot glue in it with a hypodermic needle, then clamp it up real well, let it set. Reassamble.

No big. Don't fret (lol)

Use titebond 2. It will only stick to the raw wood, it will peel off the finish no problem.

Shoot some pictures just for shits and giggles, so I can see what we are working with.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

Quote from: SunnO))) on December 06, 2013, 07:25:45 PM
So pull all the hardware off, spread the crack so you can shoot glue in it with a hypodermic needle, then clamp it up real well, let it set. Reassamble.

No big. Don't fret (lol)

Use titebond 2. It will only stick to the raw wood, it will peel off the finish no problem.

Shoot some pictures just for shits and giggles, so I can see what we are working with.

Thanks Jake, I hope it is fixable and either I can do it or it's affordable.  Here are some pics I took.

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

the diddler

Did you smack a fool over the head with it? Or is that just from vigorous divebombing and stage gymnastics? Or just the results of regular playing? Sorry if this was explained earlier- I might be in the beginning stages of either alzheimers, or drunkenness... or both

VOLVO)))

Oh good god damn. That is actually a horribly shitty break to come across. You're going to have to pull that stud out, CAREFULLY, and hope to fuck that piece doesn't come all the way off. Then you're going to have to glue the fuck out of it. Do not use epoxy, use wood glue, for real. You have to completely impregnate that crack on both sides, and clamp it so that it lines up with the original break lines. Only scary part is pressure fitting the stud back in there... Let me rest on this, and figure a solution.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mortlock

I hope you can repair it. losing a coveted instrument is like losing a child..
id be devastated if anything happened to my main bass.

spookstrickland

Damn it, I was pretty sure that was a bad break in a horrible spot.  Ya I've just played the shit out of it for 15 years, that and I've always had at least 10-52's but usually 12-52 strings.  I'm hoping it can be saved with out costing a lot. I'm missing Polly already :-(
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

spookstrickland

Well I got "Polly" up and running.  I did some Shade-Tree Mechanic work on it.  Not professional, Not pretty but it plays ;D

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Mr. Foxen

Ben from Mea Culpa [at the time, Sonance now] brought me is strat saying the trem block I put in must have slipped because it wasn't staying in tune. Turned out body had entirely split in half when he threw it at the drummer.

RAGER

:D 

I picked my drummer up and threw him on the ground in a drunken fury once.  He was laughing the entire time.
No Focus Pocus

Danny G

Ha! Awesome

Keep us posted on your stricken axe, Spook.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

spookstrickland

Quote from: Danny G on January 11, 2014, 02:53:27 AM
Ha! Awesome

Keep us posted on your stricken axe, Spook.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk

For sure :)

thanks
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org