Alright you fucks - The Spoils of Babylon starts Thursday IFC

Started by MadJohnShaft, January 06, 2014, 08:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadJohnShaft

Well, TV is generally so devoid of weird comedy that isn't only farting so we should embrace this.

Some days chickens, some days feathers

RAGER

Hey I love Family guy. lol fart!

So I tried watching Spoils last night.  Pretty much what I though it was gonna be.  Hey let's everybody act like Will Ferrell.  uggh!  It's sad to see Tim Robbins dumb down his skills.  I'll probably skip it just like I'll skip Anchorman 2.
No Focus Pocus

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

MadJohnShaft

giantchris

Really uneven first two episodes literally I thought the highlight was Will Ferell who sadly was barely in it.  This would have probably been better if they made if a fake documentary of Will Ferell directing the show then the show itself.  I also came away with the conclusion that Tim Robbins may be a great actor but he's not funny.  At all.  Was the episode last night any better?

MadJohnShaft

Yeah - in fact if you look online there is a hilarious 'making of' video that is a well done parody of the 70s 'making of' features.. I was looking for this to be like that.

I ain't watched 3 yet.

Jor el

I thought 3 was better than the first two. 

I am a sometimes fan of Will Ferrell - just seems like the same act over and over.
However, this Lipton/Welles character makes me chuckle.
Kristen Wiig is always a treat.
What Would Scooby Do ?

MadJohnShaft

The Bandit

I'm still watching it, but I don't think I've laughed once.  Show is not so good.

ez

I have to agree. I kind of liked it at first as it has a lot of absurdist humour which is usually my bag - but absurdist humour really only works if it doesn't feel forced. It feels a bit forced here - especially Ferrell's parts.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

MadJohnShaft

Loved the material again last night - no other show touches any of that crazy stuff.  The execution is just not working.   I am saddened.

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

ez

Yeah, he should have had more lines though. At this point the only redeeming feature of this show is Kristen Wiig.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?

Jor el

What Would Scooby Do ?

The Shocker

First season was disappointing after all the hype.

Fuck you!

ez

Totally. I found myself trying to remember if I had even finished the season, and realized I don't care either way.

Token

And its really heard to take ol boy from The Wire seriously in that role, then again, the Wire is overrated IMO.

Jor el

I think The Spoils before Dying is 1000 times better.

What Would Scooby Do ?

MadJohnShaft

This new one? Yeah. They made it more jokey instead of just campy. All that Jazzman stuff is funny. Ep2.

MadJohnShaft

Ep3 - what is jazz cartoon at the end and a bunch of weirder stuff and great guest stars.

Yes!