the-djentstick-hilarious-joke-genre-parody-or-musical-wake-up-call

Started by everdrone, January 09, 2014, 11:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

everdrone

for DJent, all you need is a stick, an EMG81, a string, and a Line 6 pod!  check this out:

http://www.thecirclepit.com/2014/01/the-djentstick-hilarious-joke-genre-parody-or-musical-wake-up-call.html

I'm not entirely sure if this is the place for this, but I guess this counts as music?

I kinda like djent now, now that even a stick can produce it! well, the article poses an interesting question on 'gear snobbery'.

What are your thoughts???

liquidsmoke

I'm pretty sure that 99% of all djent guitarists can play circles around me but I tend to find the genre cold, unappealing, and generally boring.

Regarding that stick thing, I'm quite sure a decent doom or stoner or sludge song could be written and recorded with it.

jibberish

it is cool to ponder. spook needs to see this.
this gives me more thoughts about what to do with my beat schecter. the slide-violin idea is atill ahead of the rest.

but yes, that thing sounds good, and very capable of playing that song. to me, the problem is that song.

actually I been lost in brushy 1-string videos. that fucker brings it. now I want to cover that chicken in the corn song haha

Seriously, between shit like this or crazy revelations like the fact that you can make a righteous fuzz out of 5 components and other crazy crap like that, the lid is getting blown right off of the mystique jar in a hurry.

Danny G

I don't get it. What am I missing?

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

AgentofOblivion

What the fuck is djent?  Dude has some pretty badass right hand chops.  I remember when I was about 14 and interested in EMG pickups the owner of the local music store told me you could put those on a 2x4 and they'd sound the same as in a $3000 Les Paul.  He meant it as an insult to EMG, but I guess it's pretty badass if you have 2x4 money, not $3000 Les Paul money.

Mr. Foxen

Basically, if you cut all the mids out of your signal and replace them with distortion products, it doesn't matter what the fuck your instrument sounds like.

spookstrickland

Quote from: jibberish on January 10, 2014, 12:34:01 AM
it is cool to ponder. spook needs to see this.
this gives me more thoughts about what to do with my beat schecter. the slide-violin idea is atill ahead of the rest.

but yes, that thing sounds good, and very capable of playing that song. to me, the problem is that song.

actually I been lost in brushy 1-string videos. that fucker brings it. now I want to cover that chicken in the corn song haha

Seriously, between shit like this or crazy revelations like the fact that you can make a righteous fuzz out of 5 components and other crazy crap like that, the lid is getting blown right off of the mystique jar in a hurry.

Pretty cool,  I'm going to make something like that for my next diddley bow type project, very cool!  Imagine if Rappers had built these instead of playing around with turn tables in the 70's!  These days anyone can afford to Rock!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

liquidsmoke

One can also get a cheap used Epi or whatever for the cost or less than the cost of a pickup. 6 strings.

VOLVO)))

I might make one of these tomorrow for pure shits and giggles.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 10, 2014, 04:42:22 PM
Basically, if you cut all the mids out of your signal and replace them with distortion products, it doesn't matter what the fuck your instrument sounds like.

so at this point are you just listening to the sound of the effects unit that can be excited by any source guitar to hit that same high level of distortion and w/e other processing?

this may sound redundant, but I wanted to ask the question in different words to make sure I understand what is going on here.

also, would then heavy compression sort of seal the deal? like one mono-blah..what im trying to say, sound no matter what?

if you listen to old school cut and paste songs, specifically the funky cold medina , and fight for your right to party, what are they doing there to get that cool choppy hard sound?

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: jibberish on January 11, 2014, 07:58:38 AM
Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 10, 2014, 04:42:22 PM

so at this point are you just listening to the sound of the effects unit that can be excited by any source guitar to hit that same high level of distortion and w/e other processing?

this may sound redundant, but I wanted to ask the question in different words to make sure I understand what is going on here.

also, would then heavy compression sort of seal the deal? like one mono-blah..what im trying to say, sound no matter what?

Compression is part of the distortion. Because of the gain, gating is necessary, which is why you go via multifx units, as there is mid scoop eq, distortion, compression, and gate going on for the attack stoppy startyness. Wonder how close you could get by using the guitar envelope to bust open a noise gate to let white noise through and have no guitar signal pass.

VOLVO)))

I bet that guy gets mad pussy.

I want to beat his face in with that guitar for being such an annoying fuck, though.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

What the fuck is paw muting? hahahahahaha

Does your cat have to help with that?