need a TV series to watch

Started by retardgroove, February 24, 2014, 01:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnice

Not sure how I missed it, but I recently watched the 2018 multi episode "Waco" on Showtime, staring Taylor Kitsch as the crazy cult leader. Good cast, very good acting. well written. Worth a watch. And Showtime are about to release a follow up "Waco Aftermath" that has some of the same characters (FBI agents that continued onto the Oklahoma City bombing case) coming out soon.

Pissy

It's like the opposite of making a book into a movie/series.  They're stretching storyline instead of condensing.  
Vinyls.   deal.

mortlock

i would highly recommend the netflix minidoc about waco. it was really really good. it left it open as to who started the fires. im thinking its 50/50. i can see both sides doing it.

dnice

Quote from: mortlock on March 26, 2023, 08:20:53 PMi would highly recommend the netflix minidoc about waco. it was really really good. it left it open as to who started the fires. im thinking its 50/50. i can see both sides doing it.

Mort, I watched that Netflix doc as well end of last week. Even better than the showtimes series, which I personally liked a lot. Waco is, for better or worse, fascinating to me. It was the largest "battle" in terms of of a "gunfight" since the Civil War in the U.S.

mortlock

Quote from: dnice on March 27, 2023, 04:07:50 PM
Quote from: mortlock on March 26, 2023, 08:20:53 PMi would highly recommend the netflix minidoc about waco. it was really really good. it left it open as to who started the fires. im thinking its 50/50. i can see both sides doing it.

Mort, I watched that Netflix doc as well end of last week. Even better than the showtimes series, which I personally liked a lot. Waco is, for better or worse, fascinating to me. It was the largest "battle" in terms of of a "gunfight" since the Civil War in the U.S.
the thing about waco is i cant say the authorities didnt shoot first, nor can i say they didnt start the fires. i can say they didnt need to run over all their vehicles with the tanks. unprofessional behavior but i dont expect much from law enforcement. both sides were at fault and are responsible for the deaths as far as im -concerned.

mortlock

also if anyone thinks they should stockpile weapons in case of govt tyranny, waco is a hard lesson on how it wont matter. the govt will win in the end.   

dnice

my biggest take away from both the documentary and the showtime movie, was the lack of coordination...first by the ATF, and then even worse by the FBI. They botched it way too many times. As lame as the government mentality can be, generally military based outfits are demanded to have their shit together. Procedures, planning, order, attention to detail, squared away, COMMUNICATION, think like an adult human being, etc etc. It was embarrassing, and you can clearly tell that.

mortlock

When it got to the point that the govt was spending a million dollars a day and the pressure was on to get this over with, thats when i figured the govt just went for it and probably started the fires to wrap it up.

James1214

We got apple tv recently and have been watching Long Way Up, the followup to Long way Around and Long Way Down.

Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman's crazy motorcycle journey documentary series. It's fuckin great, they both seem like such down to earth good people. Super enjoyable, and they did this one on prototype electric motorcycles
words

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I had that idea in my early 20's to circumnavigate on a motorcycle and never did it (shocker).  I watched the Long Way Around when it came out, and was jealous and glad I didn't when things like the drunk Russian gun collector came up. 

Didn't realize they were on Apple TV. 
Vinyls.   deal.

astroman

Beef on Netflix is pretty fuckin great. Funny, insane, even a little poignant. Binged it in 2 or 3 days, and wouldn't mind watching it again.

RAGER

I started Beef but I wasn't in the right mood I guess. I'll re visit it.

No Focus Pocus

RAGER

Anybody watch 1883?  It's a bit much. Wife likes it more than me. It'll be over soon.
No Focus Pocus

mortlock

ive been watching the vikings series. its a little soapy in places but i dig it. just got to episode 13 of 20 in season 6. final season and we lost her sons hulu account. working on that now. it started strong. once they kill off ragnar its downhill from there.

Adam

Quote from: astroman on April 19, 2023, 01:13:27 AMBeef on Netflix is pretty fuckin great. Funny, insane, even a little poignant. Binged it in 2 or 3 days, and wouldn't mind watching it again.

I have Beef queued up, which generally means I am 50/50 at actually watching any of it. I go into most Netflix series skeptical given that for every series of their I like from them, I dislike about 7 others (and i might be being generous). But I'll make an effort to watch this now.

It's kinda a guilty pleasure, but I have been digging American Auto.

dnice

The Waco Aftermath series currently is really good. The actor playing Timothy McVeigh is fuckin eerily similar to the real lunatic. Next episode is the actual OKC bombing.

dnice

The current Succession finally regained some momentum too. Weeling and Dealing again

jmucke

Quote from: dnice on April 24, 2023, 02:45:09 PMThe current Succession finally regained some momentum too. Weeling and Dealing again

I agree. I lost interest during season 3 because - despite awesome acting and writing - the whole thing became more and more repetitive. But reading that season 4 would be the last I started watching again, hoping that the story would finally go somewhere. And it does.
My favorite part so far was the decoding of a certain newspaper article.

dnice

ok, I came across this new documentary last night (multi series just started recently) about the history of the Amityville, NY true horror story. It's well done in almost a soft spoken, but well laid out way. I had no idea of the detail about the origins of this. It is truly and obscenely evil and practically incomprehensible. As we still don't really understand how this could have happened, going all the way back to 1974 (the year I as born lol) and before that, to the history of native americans on Long island. This is not just for horror fanatics. It's unfortunately extremely interesting.

dnice

new HBO Max docuseries about Shaun White (snowboard) is really well done if you gots the Max

Adam

Looks like they came out with a new Justified on FX. Has Timothy Olyphant as the star but that seems to be the only commonality between the original and this spin off, which takes place in Detroit I think. I didn't care for the most recent episode, but been enjoying it so far...even if it isn't nearly as good as the original, which have far more interesting characters.

Muffin Man

Poker Face. is blowing my mind on every level. Instant cult classic on a near Serling level Twilight Zone. It's pretty amazing. Of course Natasha Lyonne is a natural here and always on point. And the casting is waaay off the charts. If they make a season 2 and it holds up great but this is an instant cult classic for my taste - whodunit but nothing fancy or at least nothing cloying or over the top. Super well done in every way. I'm easily going to re-binge this later this year but I already can't wait. ps. Natasha is really the ticket. pwns it like Peter Falk's Columbo. But, wow, 3  bags of buttered popcorn full tilt. The production is stellar.